CHCCN511A - Scenario: Phil

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
hailes17

CHCCN511A - Scenario: Phil

Post by hailes17 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi there fellow childcare people

Am studying my diploma and am just stuck on a few questions to finish of this assignment. I just really need pointing in the right direction as i am not really sure exactly what they require. I would really appreciate any assistance offered, I so need to get this one out of the way and being easter I am unable to contact my teacher.

The first is
Phil (a staff member) reaches up to the top shelf to get a bottle of bleach. In order to reach the bottle Phil must stand on tiptoes and reach above shoulder height. The lid on the bottle is not secure and as a result bleach spills onto his face, chest and arms.
i. Who is responsible?
ii. Reason:

the next is
. Access and research one area of OHS in relation to the Child Care industry
a. List and describe the resources you have located
b. Describe how you could use the resources/documents to support any work related injury.

and finally
8. For this task you are required to access a copy of the Children’s Services regulations for your state/territory.
a. List the range of requirements that are included to minimise the risks to children‘s health and safety. 150 – 200 Words

Thanking you in advance for any replies, I am just so stuck.
Happy Easter and God Bless

Hailes
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: chccn511a Health and Safety Help... PLEASE

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey Hailes,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network!

I thought I’d help you out with some of your assignment questions 8-) .

Phil (a staff member) reaches up to the top shelf to get a bottle of bleach. In order to reach the bottle Phil must stand on tiptoes and reach above shoulder height. The lid on the bottle is not secure and as a result bleaches spills onto his face, chest and arms.
i. Who is responsible?
ii. Reason:

In this situation Phil is responsible for this incident. The bleach is kept on the top shelf (so it cannot be accessed by the children). Instead of using his “tippy toes”, Phil could have used a small ladder or step stool to reach the bleach (or) asked a taller co-worker. As a result of Phil being on his tip toes, he didn’t place a firm enough grasp on the handle of the bleach which probably caused the bleach to spill over his face etc. I am aware that the lid wasn’t securely on which caused the spill, however if Phil used a step ladder or small step stool and placed a firm enough grasp onto the bleach handle, this incident could of been avoided.

Access and research one area of OHS in relation to the Child Care industry
a. List and describe the resources you have located
b. Describe how you could use the resources/documents to support any work related injury.

Manual Handling in Children’s Services - Injury to the back can occur whenever we lift and carry. As a childcare professional in a children’s service we will have to lift, carry, lower, push and pull and store and remove things off the ground. Knowing how to lift and carry without causing injury to our self is very important. Lowering, lifting and carrying children and babies is a feature of work in the child care industry. In addition, lifting or carrying children who may be distressed or out of control can pose particular risks.

Part A -
1) Posters of how to lift objects from the floor.
2) Information about correct body posture.
3) Hints and tips for standing and sitting.
4) Posters on how to lift a child correctly, take a baby from a crib, carrying a child correctly etc.
5) Information on BACK CARE.

Part B –
Using the resources/documents we could conduct a staff meeting to discuss any back related issues and practice the correct procedures in how to lift, carry, stand and sit. If a work related injury does occur due to manual handling, it’s important to provide these information/resources to all childcare professionals and discuss the importance on how to correctly proceed with manual handling.

For this task you are required to access a copy of the Children’s Services regulations for your state/territory.
a. List the range of requirements that are included to minimise the risks to children‘s health and safety.

I’ve included a copy of the Children’s Services Regulation for QLD (I noticed that’s where you are from). You can have a browse through the whole document but pay particular attention to pages 34, 35. It will provide you with details on children’s health and safety. Just summarize the information on the pages 34 and 35. This should help you out with your last question.

Here is the link to Children’s Service Regulation for QLD: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGIS ... areR03.pdf

Also please do share how you did your assignment and some of the key points you used. This will help out others out who may be having trouble with this same assignment :!: .

Enjoy the rest of your Easter break…

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

hailes17

Post by hailes17 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks so much LA, you really were a great help, i am just waiting on my teacher to get back to me before i post my answers to help others (would not want to put wrong answer).
thanks again

Kailah

Post by Kailah » Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi, I have just started my Diploma and I am up to my 1st book and I am having trouble with a few questions.

For this task you are required to access a copy of the Children's Servies regulations for your state/territory. In my case I would need the VICTORIAN one.
a)List the range of requirments that are included to minimise the risks to children's health and safety.

If you send me a link, I need to tell you that for some reason I CANT OPEN A PDF FILE.
So if anyone knows this answer can they please type it. I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

Casey21

Post by Casey21 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Kailah

I can't help you with the answer but if you look for you national quality framework for you state their should also be a copy you could look at, at your work.