CHCCN511A - Assess and improve the safety of environments

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tonic15

CHCCN511A - Assess and improve the safety of environments

Post by tonic15 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm having a mind blank and would really appreciate help with the following scenario. Sorry its long but here goes...
Complete the tasks and questions interspersed with the text of the following scenario.

You have recently moved to what was once a heavily industrialized section of the city. Over the last three years that area has undergone rapid change, with both the state and local governments supporting the development of a number of information technology industries and establishing two schools and a range of entertainment venues in the locality. Recognizing the need for a long day care and outside school hours care service, you purchase a large block of land with an old but extremely well preserved warehouse conveniently located near to the schools and one of the largest IT sites. This is to be the home of your children's service.

The outdoor area, having being used to store containers, trucks and moving vans, is covered in dirt. There are no trees, no plants and no variations in the landscape and it is simply flat, large and uninspiring. The corrugated iron back fence adjoins a disused block of units due for demolition later in the year. They will be replaced by four luxury townhouse. In the meantime, however, you've noticed that the wooden slats on the fence are broken in places and a number of the posts are loose.

Inside the warehouse there is a large, spacious storage area complete with high roof and reverse cycle air conditioning. Adjoining this space are five reasonably sized rooms, previously used as management offices. At the rear of the building there is a toilet and washroom facility, a very small kitchen, a meeting space and a number of lockable cupboards. There is also a small cellar. A building inspection reveals that the building is in good condition with the woodwork and ceilings stable and the facility strong enough to cope with major structural renovations.

The Question is
Consider the total suitablity of this environment and identify:
- areas requiring improvement and the steps you'd take to do this
- existing hazards and how you would minimise the risk
- licensing regulations you would need to adhere to, where you would find this information and how these would impact
on your plans
- other people you might involve in redesigning and developing this site so that it was suitable for children aged from infancy to 12 years.

Here is what I have so far:-
Areas for improvement and steps you'd take to do this

All aspects of the environment, both indoor and outdoor, must be continually evaluated if you're to offer a service that is not only safe but perceived by families and the broader community as being so. Such a process begins with the selection of the site and the preliminary planning and continues with the ongoing assessment and maintenance of the workplace.
You can complete a safety checklist to determine the specific areas requiring improvement.

Exsisting hazards and how you would minimise the risk

When hazards occur or issues arise that threaten the overall safety of your environment you need to:
Identify and discuss the concern with others involved
decide on an appropriate course of action
communicate that action clearly to everyone concerned via staff meetings, one to one discussions, bulletins on the staff noticeboard,

Licensing regs etc
The majority of early childhood education and care services in Queensland fall under the National Quality Framework and are required to comply with the National Law and National Regulations.
Approved Services will be assessed and rated against each of the seven Quality Areas of the National Quality Standard and the National Regulations. They will also be given an overall rating. The rating and assessment process aims to drive continuous quality improvement at services and provide families with better information for making choices about their children’s education and care.
The National Quality Framework will require all providers to improve services in the areas that impact on a child’s development and safety and to provide families with quality information to help them make informed choices about services.
More information can be found on the NQF website

Other people you might involve in redesigning and developing the site...
Centre Manager, Director, Staff, Parent committee, Community members

Am I on the right track or completely off the rails. Any further ideas or help or feedback with this would be very much appreciated. I'm so glad to have found this forum as it has already helped me with my studies and work practices already. I'm not that confident in my answers and need some clarification. Thank you in advance.

tonic15

Casey21

Re: CHCCN511A - Assess and improve the safety of environments

Post by Casey21 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi you may have already handing it in by know but that information looked really good hope you done well