Case Study of Abuse - Parent and Child come in with Injuries

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Educater
Participator
Participator

Case Study of Abuse - Parent and Child come in with Injuries

Post by Educater » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Assessment 14: (case study) Reporting Possible abuse
A carer approaches you and asks for help with a concern. A parent in the service has started to come in with injuries that are quite severe (a black eye, bruised leg, bright red wrist mars) and the carer suspects the domestic violence may be involved. The carer has tried to discuss with the parent if all is fine, but the parent avoid conversation.
Yesterday the child of this parent came in with a welt, like a small burn, on her and this looks to be like a cigarette burn. The carer asked the parent how the injury occurred but she would not say and became avoiding and left quickly. Today the child has a fresh and quite large bruise on her leg.
1. What will you advice the carer to do? Consider: recording, advising parent, reporting.

waiting for your replyyyy.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :shock:

Lorina

Re: Case Study of Abuse - Parent and Child come in with Injuries

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Nida,

From the scenario you have written it sounds like both the parent and the child is suffering from physical abuse.

My advice to the carer would be to document the physical evidence (marks and bruising) that is seen both on the child and the parent, make notes on any behavioral changes from the child, conversation had with the parent regarding the bruising and marking.

Also it will be required for the carer to make a report to DOCS (Department of Community Services). When the carer makes a report to DOCS they will then determine whether or not a form of abuse is happening to the child. The carer will also be required to submit her documentation of evidence that they have witnessed. You could also suggest to the carer to contact the Keep Them Safe Support Line which is a service provided to mandatory reporters to assist them in determining whether the matter meets the threshold of significant harm. I will also advice the carer not to mention to the parent that they will be making a report to DOCS at this time because it could cause more harm them good and sometimes it's best not to disclose this information to parents straightaway.

I am providing you with a link to the DOCS website which gives details about when to make a report, how to make a report and what happens when making a report... if you need further information for this question you can have a look on the DOCS site for further information. Here is the link: http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/prevent ... eport.html

I hope this information helps you out with your case study...

Enjoy the weekend,

:geek:,
L.A

Educater
Participator
Participator

Post by Educater » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 pm

hey thankssssssssssss alottt...i sort of did it this way but sum great ideas are given by u which i need to add on to my answer..thankssss

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Nida,

I'm glad that I could help you out with this assignment... We would really appreciate if you could add any further information (that hasn't been covered) to the question you posted as it will help out our other members who may be stuck on the same assignment...

Thanks,

:geek:,
L.A