Aesthetic Awareness, Qualities and Creativity

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Aesthetic Awareness, Qualities and Creativity

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 pm

I need help.

Can you please give me idea on how to enhance an existing play area in childcare to promote its aesthetic qualities?

How to model aesthetic awareness and creativity?

Why is representing aesthetic cultural diversity important?

I'm stuck with my assignment. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Mehappygo
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Aesthetic Awareness, Qualities and Creativity

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Aesthetic experiences that are developmentally appropriate may include

Visual arts experiences, such as:
drawing and painting
modelling
printing
construction
collage

Music and sound experiences, such as:

listening to music and singing
participating in music making and singing
listening to sounds of nature

Taste and smell experiences

Performance such as:
dance
drama

Appropriate materials will include:
Thick and thin crayons
Pencils
Waterbased paints
Fingerpaint
Thick and thin brushes
Natural materials
Clay
Playdough
Papier-mache
Recycled materials
Modeling wire
Oil pastels
Chalks
Found objects and self-made objects for printing
Joining materials

Work and play areas that promote aesthetic qualities may be

Indoors
Outdoors

Strategies for fostering creative development and aesthetic awareness in children may be:

Provide an aesthetically pleasing environment
Display of quality adult visual art
Create aesthetically pleasing displays of children’s work
Model aesthetic awareness and creativity
Encourage visual representation and expression with the children to record aspects of the program

Experiences presented should stimulate children’s curiosity and learning through:
Encouraging active exploration, experimentation and learning
Introducing new ideas and experiences via formal and informal, planned and spontaneous experiences
Encouraging program input from children, staff, parents, community
Encouraging problem solving and curiosity

Range of developmentally appropriate experiences which stimulate children’s imitative, dramatic and imaginative play are presented through:
Creation of inviting uncluttered spaces – large and small
Provision of a range of open-ended materials to stimulate imagination
Provision of a range of accessories
Provision of a range of cross-cultural materials
Mime

I guess you would model it buy having a good aesthetic and creative area within the room or by participating in creative play etc with the children and appreciating & acknowleging (is that a word?? sorry having a stupid moment here!) their creativity

Aesthetic cultural diversity ---> important because its essential for children to understand diversity in all its facets so one should make sure that there is a good aesthetic representation of cultural diversity within the room as well

In Montessori system we teach the child about art & music & dance of all different cultures and I always tried to have an area where they could look at books with artworks from different countries and cultures as well as listen to the music.

Anyway hope this all helps

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Dear fefe76, you are such a nice person. A BIG thank you for helping me in my stuck questions. I really appreciate your kind help. Thank you for your ideas, thank you very much.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Selena you are very welcome. I just hope the information I have given you helps you out

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Re: Foster children's aesthetic and creative development - A Diploma unit

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Can someone please help me on this if possible.

Suggest an activity to develop a child's creativity in the area of music. Explain how this activity would imrpove the child's aesthetic awareness.

Thanks you very much for helping me. I really appreciate your help.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 pm

You can give the children different musical instruments and get them to play them in some kind of simple rhythm.
I used to give my children simple instruments like triangles, small cymbals, maracas etc and got them to play them when I clapped etc and then I would let them play them one by one however they liked.
I also used to get them to listen to various pieces of music and dance however they wished

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks again fefe76. I'm sorry to have so many questions. Actually took the Cert III course but the last three units the school included the Diploma units. So it's very hard for me.
Thanks again fefe76

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:38 pm

How do I answer this?

The advantages of indoor and outdoor play environment for providing developmentally appropriate dramatic and imaginative play experiences.

Thanks again.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:39 pm

How would you answer this?
Think about dramatic play and what you would do.

Write what u think is the way you would do this & we will read through & see if u r on the right track

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

How is this fefe76?

Hope I'm right.

1. Indoor play environment is usually set for imaginative or dramatic play which provides enough space and props to foster children’s imagination. The area which is most liked by the children in the indoor area is the home corner which promotes dramatic play both for individual child and for children participating in cooperative play. This area is well equipped with things that the children see in their home (i.e. cookers, child size beds, kitchen sink, cupboards, shelves, tables and chairs as well as toys cutleries and appliances, etc.). Imaginative or dramatic play is encourages the children to play co-operatively, negotiate turns, exchange ideas, and work together to solve problems.
The advantage of outdoor play can be found physically and mentally. Physically is that it builds strength endurance and coordination. Outdoor play in many ways promotes the children development like when children build sand castles, play games with friends, or explore things they find in nature, it encourages logical thinking and improves their ability to reason. Besides health benefits, playing outside stretches children’s imaginations, knowledge, explore their interests and to discover what they enjoy doing. Children need coordination as they need the chance to practice their basic physical skills. Outdoor play also allows children to move freely and make noise, form self expression that are often restricted indoors.

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 am

How do I answer this?

Why is it important that you actively model self-expression through creative work and imaginative play?

Thanks again. My head is really cracking.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:53 am

sounds good to me

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 pm

I have to complete the below questions in the Training Record Essential Knowlege and I'm not sure whether my answer is correct. Please assist to have a look and correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand:
- Overview of an inclusive approach

My answer:

The centre is to include the following:
• cultural diversity;
• language and bilingualism, including non-verbal and written language. Services may also decide to include elements of sign language;
• gender role differences and similarities;
• family lifestyles;
• festivities and celebrations;
• identification and discussion of prejudice and bias experiences; and
• the development of critical and analytical thinking.

I understand:
- Use of evaluations for modifications and changes to extend play and stimulate involvement.

My answer:
Use of evaluation is to assess all aspects of children's experiences at the childcare centre. It needs to be flexible aned adaptable, at short notice, to meet individual and group interests, talents and abilities. It should also be stimulating and involving, with a variety of opportunities avalable for children to pursue their current interests and develop new ones.

For the below questions, can you please explain to me the deep meaning of it?

I understand:
- Strategies to encourage children's creativity and literacy including: offering suggestions, using open-ended questions, and offering opportunities for imaginative play.

Is it that it requires me to write down the ways to encourage children's creativity and literacy including: offering suggestions, using open-ended questions, and offering opportunities for imaginative play? Please advise.

Thanks
Selena

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Selena,

I really appreciate the effort you put in to answer this question. You have understood the question very well and you wrote a great response! :smile: I do have a few more suggestions you can add to support your answer.

Overview of an inclusive approach

-Participate in staff training and developmental programs.
-Resources and equipment reflect a wide range of diversity (for e.g Aboriginal art puzzles, singing songs in different languages, dolls of different ethnicity, dress up from different countries etc.).
-Provide opportunities for family involvement at the centre (for e.g. Mother’s Day Afternoon Tea, Father’s Day BBQ, Grandparents Day etc.)

Strategies to encourage children's creativity and literacy.

I think you need to write down what strategies you would use to encourage children’s creativity and play, such as:

- Read and share a wide variety of books.
- Sing and chant rhymes, jingles and songs.
- Engage children in play with words and sounds.

Well Done on your response for this assignment… your answer shows you have understood it well!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Mehappygo
Participator
Participator

Post by Mehappygo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Thank you very much L.A for your response. Am so happy that I got my answers correct. Thank you for your advice. I will also post my answers for my next questions for checking whether I'm correct or not. Thanks again L.A. :)

lucypham87

Post by lucypham87 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am

hey, im new here. i just started diploma children's services, how to post my question on this Site.
thank you

inkypinky

Post by inkypinky » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:36 pm

A) A child shows interest in music but dislikes dancing. Suggest a response you or another educator might use to support the child in both aesthetic areas.

b) If the same child develops a keen sense of rhythm, describe two experiences or activities you would program to further develop this skill and ability.

plz some one help with these questions.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:20 am

inkypinky wrote:A) A child shows interest in music but dislikes dancing. Suggest a response you or another educator might use to support the child in both aesthetic areas.

b) If the same child develops a keen sense of rhythm, describe two experiences or activities you would program to further develop this skill and ability.

plz some one help with these questions.
Please start a new topic.

:geek:,
L.A

suzanngodden

Post by suzanngodden » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:11 pm

What are some more aesthetic experiences that are developmentally appropriate for children?!?