Toddlers outside without hat on

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Stealthdoze

Toddlers outside without hat on

Post by Stealthdoze » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Hello,

We often have the cute toddlers running around outside playing with dirt and water and whatever else they can get their hands on, but they keep taking their hats off their head. When we go to put it back on their heads, they run off, but we can often catch them and put it back on their head. Then we'll often turn around and walk away only to look back and see that the hat is on the ground again. No matter how many times I keep doing this, it doesn't seem to change anything.

I was told that we can't stop the children from being outside playing without a hat on because then we are restricting their right to play.

Lorina

Re: Toddlers outside without hat on

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes, it's so frustrating isn't it! It seems like when we are outside all we do is spend time putting children's hats on! Thing is they need to wear them because of sun safety whether they like it or not. Sometimes when they keep taking off their hats we just give up and let them be but we really should continue to encourage children to wear hats while outside. At centres I have been at in the past we have had a no hat no play policy. if a child refuses to wear their hat then they will have to play under the shaded area only. If they want to play in other areas they have to wear their hat. This usually catches on pretty quick and children would rather wear their hats. When you first start using this method you have to be consistent... If a child runs away without their hat you have to bring them back into the shade etc. You can also talk to the children during group discussion about why its important to wear a hat while playing, so we don't get burnt etc. Do staff wear hats as well?

Just some ideas to try...

:geek:,
L.A

Stealthdoze

Post by Stealthdoze » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Hello,

Yeah staff wear hats. Yeah it seems to be about getting all the staff to consistently enforce the rule about children playing in the shaded areas if they do not wear a hat. All good fun haha.

amelia08

Post by amelia08 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi!

Children really loves to play outside but, sometimes it's uncomfortable with them having hats on their head. I suggest to make colorful hats or design their existing hats with them. This may encourage them to wear it always. :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 am

amelia08 wrote:Hi!

Children really loves to play outside but, sometimes it's uncomfortable with them having hats on their head. I suggest to make colorful hats or design their existing hats with them. This may encourage them to wear it always. :)

That's a really good idea! :thumbup:

When a child enrols at the centre they can be given a white broad rimmed hat with some fabric paints, take it home and decorate it and then bring it to wear at the centre! It's also a nice little gift to add to the enrolment package and these can be bought cheap as well.

I'm stealing this idea in the future! :giggle:

:geek:,
L.A

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

Oooh! I'm stealing this idea too! Good thinking!

tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Post by tinkataylor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 pm

We are lucky in that 80% of our toddlers know and do keep their hats on, its only the newbies or the babies transitioning.

There was one child who would take it off as soon as you put it on, thinking it was a game. I basically did one on one with them one morning and kept putting it on as soon as they took it off, it took about 10mins before they gave up and left it on. I then played close to them for the next 20mins or so and kept them engaged in play so they forgot that they even had the hat on!

I've done this technique with a few children now and it mostly works.

Good Luck!