Toddler behaviour management

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
smith76
Participator
Participator

Toddler behaviour management

Post by smith76 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:22 am

I am having lots of trouble dealing with a particular little boy in my toddler room he is only 16mths old and we have been trying everything. He is constantly climbing on everything, pulling other childrens hair and mine, taking stuff of other children, we spend most of our time dealing with him and i feel for the other children in the room. He comes five days a week and i have spoken to his mum and she said he is exactly like that at home and she can't do anything. I have dealt with other behaviour issues before but this little boy is tiring both me and my assistant. I have tried talking to my director and she just said to document everything. He really responds well to one on one and is constantly wanting our attention which he is getting but it is very difficult when you have 7 other children in the room to cater to their needs as well. Any help would be appreciated

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Toddler behaviour management

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 am

So far what have you tried with this child to curb this behaviour?

smith76
Participator
Participator

Post by smith76 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 pm

We are constantly role modelling the right behaviour, always trying to keep him busy with activities etc so he is not bored
my assistant and i sit with him at meal times. Have sat him down in time out for like a min, constantly saying that we use gentle hands with our friends. We are redirecting him all the time. Rest time we put him to bed last so he sleeps longer so he won't wake up the other children. I just don't know what behaviour strategies to use for someone so young. I have worked with toddlers for a while and this little boy is a real challenge.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I know this may sound harsh but I had a girl in my class who just wouldn't do the right thing and it got so bad that it was a do the wrong thing and you get sat away from everyone else no matter how much you kick and scream. She soon learnt that she was missing out on a hell of a lot of fun activities because of her behaviour.
As soon as you see him strike a child or harm a child sit him out. Everytime he throws something sit him out, everytime he doesn't follow the rules or does not follow your instruction sit him out.
And yes document every behaviour, I did the same with this little girl and at the end of one day I had a page full of regular incidents that showed she had very severe behaviour issues. You can do this over a week and then take it to your Director ... also ask her to come and sit in your class for a while so she can see 1st hand what this child is like and what you are having to deal with.