Our "Climber" needs support!

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
rochelleh1991

Our "Climber" needs support!

Post by rochelleh1991 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Hello Everybody,
I am currently working at a long day care centre in NSW.
We have an issue with our climbing 4 year old that we are having a bit of difficulty resolving!
This child absolutely loves climbing on pretty much anything. The trees, balancing beams and even the poles for the shade cloth.
I am absolutely all for climbing i did it as a child and also as it is something he enjoys to do, and i am constantly battled with other staff and the director saying that he isn't allowed to climb and that it is too unsafe.
Even with supervision from an educator we are still being refused.
I have tried to come up with creative ideas that allow him to climb and keep the staff happy at the same time...
we have tried several different obstacle course and climbing equipment and jumping beam set ups but none has satisfied his need and he is straight back to climbing the trees and poles.
I also looked into getting rope ladders to attach to the shade cloth. But was just recently told that we were not allowed to get one as it needs to be secured to a frame due to regulations and restrictions ,and that the space in our yard is an issue.
I am so completely lost in this situation and i am hoping that all your creative minds will help me with some ideas!
Thanks in advance :D

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Our "Climber" needs support!

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:41 pm

I am interested to know too... :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 am

What an adventurous little boy you have! :giggle:

I have a copy of a Playground Manual compiled by the Office of Recreation and Sport and in regard to climbing equipment it is equipment that can be used within a playground as long as it follows the correct measures. Check out page 42 in the following attachment for more info. I highlighted the information in yellow within the document so it's easier for you to find.

[attachment=1]playground_manual.pdf[/attachment]

I also have some information on tree climbing which may be interesting for you to read as well:

[attachment=0]TreeClimbing2013.pdf[/attachment]

Hopefully this gives you some options for your climber!

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rochelleh1991

Post by rochelleh1991 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 am

Awesome! Thank you so much

rochelleh1991

Post by rochelleh1991 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 am

Hello everybody!
Just wanted to let you know that i took the info to a staff meeting and got most of the educators on board for some changes! Even the director has allowed us access to some of our budget to assist :)
so we will be purchasing higher climbing frames, we now have a rope ladder, a set of monkey bars and we will be allowing the children to climb the trees.
Thanks for the replies and support! :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 pm

That's great news! It's really nice to hear that you are putting the needs and the interests of the children first within your service. I'm sure that your climber will be very pleased with the new equipment as well as the other children! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A