Newbie needing help with bad behavioural problems!

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Newbie needing help with bad behavioural problems!

Post by Elianaa » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey,
I have just started doing relief work in a 4-5 year old room.
It's my first job and I'm having some problems with how to deal with kids with bad behaviour. My room leader is lovely but she is pretty young and does not have good control over the room at all. There's 25 children and a lot of very rowdy boys!!
For example today I was helping a girl with autism in the sand out and two boys walked past and one of them said "**** miss" and mooned me! Then they ran away and I didn't know what to do. I asked the other girl I work with and she said she didn't know. So I asked my room leader and her only suggestion was to use a stern voice and show them I'm angry. I'm sure there's a better way to deal with this? Any tips would be great!

Lorina

Re: Newbie needing help with bad behavioural problems!

Post by Lorina » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Only five years old and already swearing! Unbelievable! :shock:

One of the solutions is to ignore it but seriously how can you ignore something like that. This needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Typically he is probably just repeating what he heard at home or on TV. At his age even though he may not necessarily know what the word means he does understand that what he said can hurt and upset people. So, if you hear swearing ask the child why they said that, choose another word because using that word can make people sad.

I'm proving you with more information about this:

https://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/200 ... idance.pdf

http://childdevelopmentinfo.com/how-to- ... g-cursing/

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/early ... ticleID=59

It's also a good idea to make sure all staff are aware of how to appropriately handle the swearing scenario. Come up with a few different strategies on what exactly to do so all staff are aware of how to handle this situation...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 am

First of all, if your group leader has no idea how to handle this situation, she should not be working as a group leader! I would personally go to the director for support for this problem as she will have more knowledge about how to deal with this inappropriate behaviour. Do u have class rules? I would say this child is only doing this for attention, so you need to talk to them away from an audience in private. Ask them why they did this, be very clear that their actions are inappropriate and need to stop. If the behaviour continues, you need to follow up with consequences, such as having to stand next to the teacher at play time or do classroom chores when the other children are outside playing. The group leader should also talk to the parents if this becomes an ongoing problem. But like you said, your group leader seems to have no idea about how to do her job properly, I would be regularly communicating to the director about this behaviour. It sounds to me like your group leader is inexperienced and is not ready to be in a position of power in the room. These children sound like they need someone firm enforcing rules with them. If this child continues with inappropriate behaviour, perhaps he needs a behavioural plan drawn up, but this is not your responsibility as your are only an assistant - suggest it to your group leader, and if she can't support you, go to the director. Good luck :)

Esther_te82

Post by Esther_te82 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 pm

First of all you should not show your shock no matter what. Prior to dealing with kids' behavior I would talk to their parennts and agree on the way to deal with that.

Antionette

Post by Antionette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am

Hi There,

At present I am doing my Cert III in Chidcare and need help. List and briefly explain three constructive approaches to reduce problem behaviour in children with disabilities.

Ant :think:

Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:06 am

I'd like to respond to laws92 - I am new in childcare I am a room leader and I have tried various techniques but some children are defiant when trying to be controlled. If you would share how would you deal with this situation. 24 children 4 do not want to join group time. You try to reason, ask nicely, raise voice, sing songs, make it about the boys individually but the more you try to get them to join the more they run away and say NO. I would really love to hear how you would deal with this. Thank You