Kissing Children

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
swankymuffin

Kissing Children

Post by swankymuffin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:13 am

Hi Guys,
I'm a casual at a Child Care Centre & am studing my Cert III.
A lot of the staff at my centre kiss the children there, only on the cheek, forhead or top of the head. Personally I find this a little weird, is it normal to kiss the children? Is it okay for them to do so?
I also wanted to know about "blowing raspberries" do you find this acceptable in a child care setting (my centre has mixed feelings on this)
Thanks,
Britty

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post this under Experiences in Child Care but am unsure how to move it

Lorina

Re: Kissing Children

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I think it depends on the centre and the families. If you have known the child and family for a long time and you treat them as your own then it’s natural way to show affection. I don’t think it’s appropriate for a new member of staff or casual workers to go and start kissing children...

I have worked at some centres that families are very open to having staff kiss and show affection towards the children and others where it is unheard of! I think that it also depends on the relationship between the family and the individual educator. Not all parents would feel comfortable with their child being kissed by others and in some cultures it’s unacceptable.

At my previous centre we gave the children a cuddle and a kiss goodbye. The parents would say go kiss “whoever” good bye etc. I didn't find anything wrong with it. Since it was a small centre we were a very tight knit bunch. Although some centres where I have worked before we never kissed children just cuddled.

With raspberries (that’s blowing on the child’s tummy right) no never seen that at any centre. May seem a little weird to you since you’re new to their work environment however to the staff at your centre it’s just another way to show affection.

I mean you’re working with a group of children under the age of 5 all day long, you grow attached to them, you’re with them most of the day, i mean how can you not give affection!! They are just so adorable, sometimes you can’t resist. Do you know how fulfilling it is to get a hug from a child!!!

The only thing that may be stopping centre in showing affection is the child protection laws. Yes, i agree that we need to be mindful and respectful towards children but I don’t believe there is anything indecent about giving a child a cuddle or a kiss on the cheek.

Just wanted to share my views,

:kiss:, (hahahaha)
L.A

swankymuffin

Post by swankymuffin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks for replying Lorina, it was interesting to read your views. All of the staff & families are very close at my centre and I have seen parents telling their child to give a few of the carers a kiss goodbye. I suppose I'll get used to it :) I give a lot of cuddles because they are just such wonderful children. By blowing raspberries I mean sticking out your tongue and making the kind of "pffffft" noise

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:17 pm

swankymuffin wrote: By blowing raspberries I mean sticking out your tongue and making the kind of "pffffft" noise

:giggle: So, staff do this with children? Could spread germs... My little one does this all the time and spits everywhere in the process! She even does this with food in her mouth.Although i don't think the staff at your centre does this with food..hehehehe

:geek:,
L.A

swankymuffin

Post by swankymuffin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Some staff do & a lot of the children. I can't bear to ask the children not to do this as I still do it all the time at home haha

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 pm

I have a no contact policy at work that excludes educators from kissing or touching children such as sitting them on your lap or holding toddlers in your arms. However we don't follow it... Ssshhh don't tell management! :giggle:

tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Post by tinkataylor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 pm

We show a bit of affection at our centre

I must admit i have used the good ol' "Can I kiss it better?" technique... works a treat ;)

we also have some children who are ridiculously ticklish and we love rolling around with them and getting into tickle fights with several at a time.

however i have heard of an incident of a staff member who tried to kiss a child goodbye infront of a parent and the mum was so appalled the director ended up letting the staff member go.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:07 pm

tinkataylor wrote:however i have heard of an incident of a staff member who tried to kiss a child goodbye infront of a parent and the mum was so appalled the director ended up letting the staff member go.
my goodness! thats so harsh! That's why when showing affection towards a child you need to know which families are ok with it.

Stealthdoze

Post by Stealthdoze » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 pm

As a young male in the child care sector, I don't kiss the children. I gotta protect myself. I only give hugs. Sitting on my lap is a definite no no. I try never to be alone with a child.

amelia08

Post by amelia08 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

I agree with you Stealthdoze. It is much safer to do this rather than suffering what other care centers workers has just experienced.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Stealthdoze wrote:As a young male in the child care sector, I don't kiss the children. I gotta protect myself. I only give hugs. Sitting on my lap is a definite no no. I try never to be alone with a child.
As a male you're right you shouldn't be giving children kisses. A simple Hi 5 and a pat on the back is good enough. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a male show affection towards a child. Its good you are aware of this. :thumbup:

grandma
Participator
Participator

Post by grandma » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

The centers I used to work in all gave kids a hug if they needed or asked for it. Kissing was a bit different. Of course if a child wants to give you a kiss on the cheek how can you refuse that.it does definately depend on the family views. Now that I do family day care and we are a small family that are together for 3 sometimes 4 years of course there are hugs and kisses.I understand from the guys in our industry that this could be confronting and isnt it sad that all males are looked on as potential child abusers. usually Iwait and get to know my families first to see how they approach the drop offs and pickups. it doesnt take long to know how they feel about affection. My husband isnt here much when the kids are here but he does lots of building and sourcing for our activities and the kids love him. he gets lots of hugs and also gets called Grandad mostly as I have a grandchild in care.he often tells me he worries a bit about giving non family members a hug in case its seen as inappropriate by others. We do live in a small community which makes it easier and most people know each other. it will always be a grey area.

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:32 am

catchmeifucan wrote:
Stealthdoze wrote:As a young male in the child care sector, I don't kiss the children. I gotta protect myself. I only give hugs. Sitting on my lap is a definite no no. I try never to be alone with a child.
As a male you're right you shouldn't be giving children kisses. A simple Hi 5 and a pat on the back is good enough. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing a male show affection towards a child. Its good you are aware of this. :thumbup:
Umm I'm sorry but this is an extremely bigoted view and one of the reasons why there is so much stigma around men in childcare as it perpetuates the view that males are inherently untrustworthy! :thumbdown:

As a male preschool teacher myself I am very affectionate with the kids in my class (when they initiate it) and this has always been supported by parents and colleagues/management as being an essential aspect of positive relationships.

daddymarkus

Post by daddymarkus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:26 am

Agreeing with Stealthdoze, too. Its often better to stay on the safe side than to be misinterpreted.