Is this normal?

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Is this normal?

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:16 pm

I have been looking after vacation care & kindy kids while its school hols and their teacher is away and there is one little girl who seems to have a very odd way of talking
Will give u a run down of how she talks (changing her name for confidentiality reasons)

"Katy is wondering where Stacy has gone"
then in a different tone to herself
"she is sitting over there Katy"
"Katy thinks we should go and sit over there"
"ok lets go"
:shock:
I found it very odd listening to a 4 yr old having a 2 sided conversation with herself
throughout the day she talks about herself in 3rd person
Katy this Katy that

we did face painting and she went to wash it off so I asked why she was doing that and she said
"Katy needs to wash it off because if she doesnt and gets messy her mummy will spank her bottom"

I have heard other teachers asking her "I want to know what you want, not what Katy wants" so its obviously something she does all the time.

I found it a tad worrying to be honest and in all my 15 yrs i have NEVER come across such a thing.

Can someone tell me why a child would do this? She does have behavioural issues ...very naughty and has been sent home by the kindy teacher on a number of occasions
I am wondering if its some kind of coping mechanism for her

Any ideas anyone? would be appreciated

Lorina

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey Fefe,

I've never experienced this either, so I'm not too sure what you should do...

Maybe the little girl has picked up this way of referring to herself from someone else? You mentioned that you have heard other teachers talking to her in 3rd person... do they always do this?

I will try to find out some more information for you... it's definitely an interesting case!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:06 pm

It was just one of the assistants and it was in response to the child repeatedly talking about herself in the 3rd person so the assistant said she wanted to know what she was doing not Katy

I just found it weird and not normal to be honest. Seems a bit scary & freaky for such a young child to converse in such a way

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Maybe she can see ghosts and she is talking to them! hehe..just kidding.

I have heard about similar cases like this before. I think its probably cuz of the phase and it usually happens to 3-5 year olds. Each child may do it differently. Some may refer to themselves in 3rd person, some may be talking to themselves, some talk to themselves as different people, baby talks, etc. My cousin's son had similar behaviour. He used to talk to himself a lot of time and that too in different characters. He was the only child so I thought this could perhaps be the reason since he spends a lot of time playing by himself. I thought maybe he may have developed this while playing alone. Now he is 5 yrs old and he doesnt do that anymore. Atleast not that often. I dont think it has to do with language development, speech delays or anything like that since he can talk like a professor for a little kid! So, I guess thats normal for some child. It will be interesting to find out if this behaviour continues after an age.

Did you ask her why she is referring to herself in 3rd person? Did you talk to her mum about this? I wonder what she thinks..

When I was in high school I used to talk in 3rd person sometimes but I was just trying to be annoying. I guess I cant really compare that to this case..lol..

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I did try asking her but she just kept repeated what she was initially saying referring to herself in the 3rd person....Im not really the teacher in that room just there while its school hols and their normal teachers/assistants away
Didnt see the mum so couldnt ask her but may do if she comes this week and i find she is doing it again
She has a younger sister so dont think she is short of company + she doesnt really do "character voices" its her and herself in the 3rd person, not a character ... i understand playing and doing two character voices, gosh i did that but this is not that!
anyway its kind interesting kind of worrying so wondered if anyone had ideas about it