Child Suffering from Dyslexia ?

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Janiedaniel

Child Suffering from Dyslexia ?

Post by Janiedaniel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 pm

hii everyone, Can anybody please tell how to judge it from the behaviour of the child that if he/she is dyslexic or not ?
please gives some ideas about it ?

Nicole.24

Re: Child Suffering from Dyslexia ?

Post by Nicole.24 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 am

Have a look at this website hopefuly it helps you out . From my experience dyslexia does not normally cause behavioural problems but it some cases it may . .http://www.dyslexiamelbourne.com/pages/ ... %20is.html

Jacky
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Jacky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Janiedaniel
I do family day care I had a child who was very bright and happy but really struggled with reading and writing they could read a word one moment then a line later struggle with the same word, letters were often written the wrong way around so p became q, b was written as d they fell behind and started to really dislike reading although they loved books being read to them, reading gave them headaches and they became very stressed doing home work which became a horrible experience for child and parents.
This child had no behavioral problems, great attention span, lovely nature but couldn't master reading, at seven they had the reading age of a five year old and was diagnosed with dyslexia.
Finally one day as we sat together reading this beautiful child told me they couldn't read it as they were stupid and other children were calling them this at school when they had to read something out in class.
I spent the weekend reading anything I could find about dyslexia from the local library and one book jumped out at me Irlen syndrome by Helen Irlen who used colored acetate sheets placed over reading material, there was a check list of symptoms all I had seen in this child and I ticked off every box.
I talked to mum and dad and they were willing to try anything they made a appointment then rang me after, mum said that when they were testing they learned that as this child was looking at a line of print, the words to them would appear to be moving, blinking in and out of focus, going off at a slant something the child had never said before (they thought this was what it looked like to everyone) but the assessor knew the right questions to ask, ( this child often wrote like the sentences were sliding down a hill instead of in a straight line).
At the start of the assessment they were given a book to read and struggled, then after the assessment they placed different colored sheets over the book until they found the right one, then this child was given the same book and the colored sheet and asked to read a few lines the difference had the mum in tears they read that page then didn't want to stop, the words stayed still.
They were given glasses for reading with the same color lenses as the sheet and never looked back the difference was dramatic and this child became a avid reader no more headaches and self confidence back up.
This might now work for all children with dyslexia but it really changed this child's life, you can google Helen Iren or Iren syndrome for more detailed information hope this helps.

Janiedaniel

Post by Janiedaniel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:01 pm

Nicole.24 wrote:Have a look at this website hopefuly it helps you out . From my experience dyslexia does not normally cause behavioural problems but it some cases it may . .http://www.dyslexiamelbourne.com/pages/ ... %20is.html
Thanks nicole this site was good, thanks a lot to share this useful information.

Janiedaniel

Post by Janiedaniel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:08 pm

That was wonderful expirience jacky, it also given me few ideas about how to judge it from the behaviour of the child,
Regards and thanks,
Janie Daniel
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted promotion of external sites

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 am

@Jacky - What a wonderful story for you to share! Thanks so much! It really gives us an insight what it's like for a child with dyslexia. It seems the child had really been struggling to put into words what they were actually experiencing with reading and writing. It' great that the child and family had your support throughout the process because your suggestions really did change this child's life! You really made a difference!

Is the child still with you?

@Janie - Found this: Dyslexia Test

:geek:,
Lorina

Jacky
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Jacky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Lorina
Yes I still have contact with the now young adult (in high school) and doing great and there family, one of the good things about Family day care even after they leave they can keep in touch, I have met some lovely people doing this job and made some very good friends.
Also want to say a big thank you for this amazing site I have been using the templates in all the children's portfolios and they are brilliant and love reading the forum keep up the good work :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Jacky,

That's great that you still keep in touch! How good is that!! You're right about FDC, since you're running you're own business at your home you're more inclined to keep in touch with families, since you'll always be there. While I have been working in LDC I have made some very special bonds with some families but unfortunately due to the constant changes in everyday life, moving onto other centres and such you lose touch. FDC has a range of great benefits!

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's really nice to hear that you enjoy using the templates and enjoy browsing the forum! I appreciate you're support! :)

Cheers,

:geek:,
Lorina

Janiedaniel

Post by Janiedaniel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:00 pm

hii,
I agree with you Lorina a Child suffering from dyslexia should be well pampered , and Jacky's experience was wonderful , loads of thanks to Jacky for sharing this realistic thing. and wishing him luck in taking care of that child :) :) :)