A boxing child, behaviour implications. Help!!

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
becceb

A boxing child, behaviour implications. Help!!

Post by becceb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:18 am

In my class I have a child (age 2) who's mother and father have recently split up. His behaviour has actually got much better since the split.
He has recently started seeing his father again and his Dad takes him to boxing (Im not sure if this a his own gym or actual classes, I think the the first). His mum has noticed a huge change in his behaviour also, he is now very aggressive and at kindy he uses a boxing stance and punches the other children with a fist. He is also very over emotional again.
I have explained to mum that certain aggressive behaviours are normal in 2-3 year olds during this age but when it becomes an issue for other children at the centre we need to start looking at other ways to stop him from being so aggressive.

What I am asking for is information that I can access related to aggressive sports/rough and tumble at home and the possible effects on a child of this age. I'm all for sports but I think boxing is a bit much for a 2 year old with an aggressive personality. I just need info for mum so she can pass it onto her ex husband.
Just having difficulty finding decent info for her.

Lorina

Re: A boxing child, behaviour implications. Help!!

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 am

Unbelievable!!

2 years old and boxing!! It may be a "tough" sport to get your child in but a 2 year old still doesn't know the difference between right or wrong and this can cause a lot of confusion for the toddler. Their understanding is "it's OK to hit" when as an educator you try and resolve it by other means. This toddler needs to be encouraged in another sport or if he wants to continue with boxing you need to make it clear to both parents that the toddler cannot use boxing at the centre...

I may have found some info on this issue as well:

Boxing Participation By Children

Seriously, what are parents getting their children into these days??

:geek:,
L.A

becceb

Re: A boxing child, behaviour implications. Help!!

Post by becceb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks for that, it's ridiculous isn't it!
I will look through it and see what I can find. Just need to prove to her husband what haplnens at home has a huge effect on his child else where!