Working and studying - next steps after Cert III

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
amandant

Working and studying - next steps after Cert III

Post by amandant » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am

Hi - my 19yr old daughter has been working towards her Cert III at a local centre and is almost finished. They have only offered her casual work at the end of her cert.
We've been discussing what the next step for her should be and we're wondering if going on to the Diploma or the Bachelor of Education (early childhood) would be better. She is about to move out so will need to work 3 or 4 days a week casually/part-time to get by, but she is also keen on keeping up with studies.
I have heard that she will also get a bump in pay if she is studying towards a degree/diploma - how much extra would that be?
Any advice is welcome!

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Working and studying - next steps after Cert III

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

The thing about casual work that’s its inconsistent. One week you may work for a couple of days the next week you may not work at all, so it varies on the centres needs.

Since she has almost completed her cert 3 qualification she can work full time or find a job as a permenant part time. In this case she should start applying at centres to see
If she can get a job at another center.

Another option is to join a Childcare job agency as a casual. They will be able to get you more work as a casual. You will sign up with them as a casual and they contact you throughout the week to go to various centres as a casual. It’s also inconsistent however in my experience I had work 3 - 4 days per week. Also if you want permanent part time/full time they will assist you in getting a job as well... so they are quite helpful.

Doing the Diploma/Degree is always an option because it’s a higher job position and of course wages will increase... so it really depends what your daughter wants to do in Childcare. A Diploma will enable her to work as a room leader and an Degree will enable her to work as the ECT and depending on which Degree also work in primary school...

A lot of descisons and a few options to work out...

Let me know if you have any more questions.. happy to assist!

:geek:,
Lorina