What should you be paid for?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

What should you be paid for?

Post by Macoola » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 am

Hi everyone,

I have been working at an OOSH centre for the last 6 months now and wanted to ask some questions. It is a small centre that has only just opened 6 months ago so I am the only one there with the kids. I have to do all the shopping for the kids, programming, and paperwork for the centre. I don't get paid for any of this time, I get reimbursed for the shopping but I don't get paid for my time or petrol. The paperwork wasn't much at first but now I am filling out so much stuff and on top of that, once I have finished, I have to scan all the paperwork off to my boss which takes time as well. I feel pretty annoyed but I have stuck with the job because it works really well with my study hours and is a 2 minute walk from my house. I just wanted to gather peoples experience with this? Should you get programming time at an OOSH centre? Should you get time to do paperwork etc...?

Thanks
Macoola

Lorina

Re: What should you be paid for?

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 am

You're diploma qualified aren't you? The programming and paperwork is part of your job description so I don't think you will be paid more than you are already receiving... However, with the shopping since this is part of a work duty then you should get an allowance or it should be included in your work hours...

So I went through the Children's Services Award and had a look into "Higher Duties" (page 22 for your reference). This is basically an extra allowance you may receive based on extra duties. It states the following:

An employee engaged in duties carrying a higher rate than their ordinary classification for two or more consecutive hours within any shift or day will be paid for the time so worked at the higher rate provided that:

- the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;

For the purposes of this clause, the duties of an employee will be determined by reference to this award and the employee’s job description.

The other points mentioned in this clause is related to Directors duties...

I also found "Use of Vehicle Allowance" (page 20 for your reference). It states:

Where an employer requests an employee to use their own motor vehicle in the performance of their duties the employee will be paid an allowance of $0.76 per kilometre in the case of a motor car or $0.25 per kilometre in the case of a motorcycle

Maybe you can work something out regarding the time you spend shopping and the use of your vehicle...

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:45 am

Hi L.A

Thanks for your response. I am actually not diploma qualified yet so am being paid an assistants wage although I am doing the role of a coordinator. Thanks for the research you did I really appreciate it.

Macoola

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 pm

one small suggestion regarding the paperwork, if you are having to scan a lot of the documents maybe you can try doing them in electronic form. It might take a bit of preparation getting the forms formatted properly but will reduce time scanning paperwork. I assume this is things like rolls, incident reports, daily planning?

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm

just to add, you should definitely be getting paid time away from the children to do the necessary documentation if it is part of the job requirement.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Thanks Wimble I appreciate your input I think I am going to talk to my boss about this

Thanks again Macoola