Wages in childcare

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Wages in childcare

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi guys

I am hearing conflicting views on what wages are like in childcare these days. Obviously i have looked up the general info on Seek Careerone etc but would love to hear what you guys are on or if too personal then what people you know are on at certain levels.

So far i have heard...
ABC only pays $15 and hour for unqual then $18 once you have the cert III
Seen some private centres offering between $21-$25 per hour
Council ones with a yearly salary of $47k
Seen some agencies offering up to $36 per hour casual but assuming you would have to have bachelor for that

Would also love to know how many hours per week you generally do and if it includes an RDO

Interested to know...thanks!

Lorina

Re: Wages in childcare

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Barbie,

Just a heads up - there is an open discussion on childcare wages which can found in the Career in Childcare forum.

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=34&t=466

Have a read through the posts as some members have shared their opinions and views on how much they get paid in childcare...There is no need to create a new topic for this and you can just continue this discussion in the above topic link itself.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

larryblossom

Post by larryblossom » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

The average wage per hour for a childcare worker can be around $10 to $25, and it can be different according to countries. 

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:35 am

Not only can your wage differ in countries but also between centres here in Australia itself. Since centres only have to really pay the minimum award whether or not you have qualification or experience, centres really determine what they pay there staff. So, if your getting an hourly wage from one specific centre, someone else with exactly the same qualification and experience may be getting more or less than you from another centre. The wages in Childcare completely sucks I think that it is truly unfair!

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 am

I find it silly that wages can differ from centre to centre and experience past 3 yrs is not taken into account. I have 10 yrs of experience but they will only count my experience yearly from when I got my Diploma and even then the pay only goes up a smidgin ... its terrible.

Some places pay above award wage, some just pay award wage, it's pretty shocking regardless as the pay is not much.

Casual always pays more but then you have no guarantee of hours.

Sarah999

Post by Sarah999 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I think child care will always be a low payer, if its too expensive parents couldn't afford it.