Trainee pay rate?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
saraha

Trainee pay rate?

Post by saraha » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi, I am about 7 months into my Cert III traineeship in NSW and have been paid 10.78 an hour as i’m an 18 year old school leaver. However, with the changes to the award is my new wage 18.09? I am very confused because this is the rate under ‘first year apprentice - 18 years’ in the children’s services award 2010 but when I use the Fairwork pay calculator my estimate is 10.85. Any advice would be helpful :)

Lorina

Re: Trainee pay rate?

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm

A trainee in childcare falls under the National Training Wage, Miscellaneous Award and you can find your pay rate here:

Traineeship Wages and Conditions

:geek:,
Lorina

kaseycatherinexo

Post by kaseycatherinexo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:18 am

I am having the same problem, I am currently doing my cert III also and I am getting paid $9.30 an hour, I questioned my director as it saying I should be earning $18.09 an hour and she began to be rude about it and will not pay me at that rate, she has now upped it to $11 an hour....

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:13 pm

kaseycatherinexo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:18 am
I am having the same problem, I am currently doing my cert III also and I am getting paid $9.30 an hour, I questioned my director as it saying I should be earning $18.09 an hour and she began to be rude about it and will not pay me at that rate, she has now upped it to $11 an hour....

Hi Kasey,

There was some confusion in regards to the traineeship pay rates in the following article, " Childcare Traineeship Wages and Conditions" which has now been edited and updated. The $18.09 is for an apprentice, not traineeship. When contacting Fair Work Australia to confirm the traineeship wages, I was told that wages for traineeship fall under the National Training Wage, Miscellaneous Award and not the Children's Services Award as previously stated.

You can find your current pay rate based on your highest year of schooling completed here:

Childcare Traineeship Wages and Conditions

I apologise for the confusion.

Lorina

jordiekeohane

Post by jordiekeohane » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi There,

I have been offered a Cert III traineeship but I was told my pay rate will be $11 something, I am 19 years old and completed year 11 two years ago. From what I have read I should get $493.30 per week but if I am to earn $11 an hour that would only be $412.50 a week. Am I right in thinking I should be getting $493.30 based on my age and school qualification? Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Yes, based on your circumstances of completing yr 11 and being 2 years out of school you should be paid $493.30. This works out to be approximately $12.98 per hour.

You will need to have chat with the Director about this...

Lorina