Teacher award and not childcare award...

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Sheshek

Teacher award and not childcare award...

Post by Sheshek » Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 am

Hey, so I’ve recently started work in a childcare centre, which is within a private school, my question is:
That I’m studying my diploma, and they have told me, once completed I will not get paid diploma rate, unless I become group lead as they are under the teachers award. I’m an assistant in the toddlers room,(cert 3 qualified, studying towards diploma on $23.11 an hr) and my lead educator is on $24.64, she’s held her diploma for a year and studying her advanced diploma. Does this sound right as my last centre GL was on $27 + an hour?

Thanks all.
Sheena

Lorina

Re: Teacher award and not childcare award...

Post by Lorina » Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm

From my understanding as per the Educational Services Teachers Award, you cannot be on this Award unless you are the ECT of the service.

As for getting a Diploma rate, even if you are not group leader in the Children's Services Award there is Level 3.4 which is for diploma qualified assistant educators. It's a little more than a cert 3 assistant educator and a little less that a group leader.

Your pay rate sounds right. You are currently on Level 3.1 which is $23.09 per hour.

As for your lead educator her pay rate of $24.64 is level 4.1A. This is for an unqualified group leader. You mentioned she has had her diploma for a year so she should be on level 4.1 which is $27.21 per hour.

So your group leader may want to discuss with management why she is on an unqualified pay rate.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

:geek:,
Lorina

BuzzyB33

Post by BuzzyB33 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:27 am

Hi Lorina,
I live in Perth, WA and am a qualified ECE Teacher with 20 years experience. I have been offered a job as a Casual - Qualified Assistant in a long day care service. What should my pay rate be ?
-Unsure

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 pm

BuzzyB33 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:27 am
Hi Lorina,
I live in Perth, WA and am a qualified ECE Teacher with 20 years experience. I have been offered a job as a Casual - Qualified Assistant in a long day care service. What should my pay rate be ?
-Unsure

If you have a diploma qualification, you should be on Level 3.4 - $32.51 (casual rate)

If you have a cert 3 qualification, you should be on Level 3.3 - $30.80 (casual rate)

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Sheshek

Post by Sheshek » Sun May 09, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks Lorina, even that rate though I’m studying my diploma?
Once I’m qualified, my wage stays the same, so they told me. Seems unfair when you work so hard not to be recognised for that qualification.