Overtime at child care centre

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Participator
Participator

Overtime at child care centre

Post by Newbie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm currently working as a certificate III educator at a service in Victoria. Our ratio in my room is 1 educator to 4 children. Sometimes at the end of the day when I am about to leave I have to count and ensure that we have enough educators to children ratio, otherwise I tell the service manager that we do not have enough staff. More often then not she will ask if I can stay for a further half an hour, and tells me I have a legal obligaton to ensure I am not leaving my room under ratio, I am often not paid for this time I stay back.
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this legal obligation to stay back, isn't it up to the service to ensure they have provided enough staff at this time?

stephanie5892

Re: Overtime at child care centre

Post by stephanie5892 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:03 pm

ok so you must be paid for overtime or they have to put it at least towards time in leiu. if they don't do this contact fair work hun! don't let them push you around I have been in this position before and omg trust me if you don't sort it now it can get worse. just document the date, time and how long you stayed back for so you have evidence don't be shy to stand up for yourself.

Lorina

Re: Overtime at child care centre

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes I agree with [ref]stephanie5892[/ref]! For any work you do outside your normal working hours it should be paid as overtime or time in lieu. It may be part of your legal obligation but also it's part your employer legal obligation to make sure you're rightfully paid overtime or time in lieu... So, I would suggest you nip this issue in the butt!

:geek:,
Lorina