Mentor teacher allowances

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Vanir

Mentor teacher allowances

Post by Vanir » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi Lorina,
I have recently noticed that mentor teachers are paid by universities to supervise the pre service teachers. When I discussed this with my centre director, she said it is not allowed by the company to claim it and I was ok with that. But later I found that my company actually claims that directly in company’s bank account and it is never paid to teachers. I am just curious to know the answers of following questions:
1. What is the purpose of this allowance ?
2. Is it only paid for supervising teachers or is it paid for any placement student attending the service?

I believe educators and teachers work hard in the rooms. It is well established that we are already underpaid in this job and If we are benefitted by supervision allowances then why services hold this.

Kind regards
Vani

Lorina

Re: Mentor teacher allowances

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:33 pm

Hi Vanir,

I haven't heard of this allowance before...

I'll try out more information to share with you...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Can you tell me what state you are in?

Thanks!
Lorina

bluemoon

Post by bluemoon » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi Vani,
The school pays a mentor or manager who supports student assessment. If you are the mentor for the student, you are entitled to receive the mentor's allowances from the centre or directly from the school ( you need some paperwork). If your centre manager undertakes the mentoring for the student, not including you, then you are not receive any allowance from your student's school.

That means you must meet the mentor's task for the student from start to end.
You have to speak with your director if your director is not the mentor for the student! If you do not take any money, then you do not need to become a mentor for the student!
Mentors usually advise, teach, mentor, etc., for students to meet satisfied their assessment.

Private child care centre normally director wants to take the money!
Non for company sometimes shares with the teacher or room leader.

The allowance is approx from AUS $300-450 depending on Uni or school.

Good luck
Moon

quote=Vanir post_id=49848 time=1671355752 user_id=86316]
Hi Lorina,
I have recently noticed that mentor teachers are paid by universities to supervise the pre service teachers. When I discussed this with my centre director, she said it is not allowed by the company to claim it and I was ok with that. But later I found that my company actually claims that directly in company’s bank account and it is never paid to teachers. I am just curious to know the answers of following questions:
1. What is the purpose of this allowance ?
2. Is it only paid for supervising teachers or is it paid for any placement student attending the service?

I believe educators and teachers work hard in the rooms. It is well established that we are already underpaid in this job and If we are benefitted by supervision allowances then why services hold this.

Kind regards
Vani
[/quote]

boteki2

Post by boteki2 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:38 pm

Hello,
To receive benefits, what paperwork do I need to complete?

soulahoin

Post by soulahoin » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Mentor allowances are typically for guiding pre-service teachers, but whether it covers all placements can vary. It's frustrating when we're already underpaid. Maybe talk to your company or colleagues to get more info.

ZackGlynn

Post by ZackGlynn » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:14 pm

That's why I chose to be a contract teacher and not a permanent teacher. Permanent teachers have very low salaries