Mature age trainee wages?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Pearljammer

Mature age trainee wages?

Post by Pearljammer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi there,

I am 26 years old. I worked in child care when I was about 20 and absolutely LOVED it! Unfortunately I was continuously bullied by a co-worker and had to leave. I am now wishing to get back into it and am thinking about doing a traineeship (as you have to be qualified now). However with a 5 month old, another bub on the way, plus a mortgage, I am trying to see if we can afford for me to leave my current job in hospitality, and do this instead.

I am finding it very difficult to find the minimum wage for a mature aged child care trainee and was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm not even sure if there is a difference if I'm mature aged... perhaps trainees are different to apprentices in this respect?

Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated, whether its a rough estimate from personal experience, or a link to a certain part of the award that I'm not seeing. I just need something that I can work out a basic budget from. I am also located in Western Sydney, NSW.

Thank you

:)

Lorina

Re: Mature age trainee wages?

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:45 am

Hi Pearljammer,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network :wave:!

First off,I just want to say that I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience already in this industry! I really hope that your return to childcare is a much more pleasant experience! Also, congratulations on your pending arrival! :thumbup:

I had a look at the Children's Services Award 2010 and the traineeship wage differs from a qualified educator... Since you are an adult in the award it states the following:
adult trainee is a trainee who would qualify for the highest minimum wage in Wage Level A, B or C if covered by that wage level (page 46)

Keeping this in mind, the highest current minimum wage for an adult trainee in childcare (Level A) is $568.70 per week (page 48).

I'm also adding the Children's Services Award 2010 for your reference.

[attachment=0]childcare-award_regs_2013.pdf[/attachment]

Depending on the centre and any other allowances you may receive your wages may increase. The above wage just means that is the lowest that you can be expected to pay. You can get more if the centre pays above award, although how much more I'm not too sure...

Hopefully this helps you make a decision,

Let me know if you need further information,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pearljammer

Post by Pearljammer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. That figure is very helpful in the way of seeing if my partner and I can afford for me to do this. It's a great site here so I be sure to stay! I had a look through the award and I still can't find it for myself (silly I know). But none the less thank you so much :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 am

No problem I'm glad the info will help make your decision! Check out page 48 to find the trainee wages...

Stay healthy and safe!

:geek:,
L.A