Job Keeper Payment $1500 per fortnight

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
PR0r

Job Keeper Payment $1500 per fortnight

Post by PR0r » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to reach out for some ideas about what to do in my current situation. As I'm sure most people are aware, the Government has announced the job keeper payment of $1500 per fortnight to support workers in this difficult time.

I'm a group leader in the junior room and usually have between 14-17 children per day, with 2 or 3 additional Assistance's. I'm employed full time and have worked at my service for about 7 years. Over several weeks or so the numbers have dropped significantly and I am now by myself with 5 or 6 children. (over ratio yes, but "under the roof").

I've seen across the service that in all the rooms this is now the same situation. Numbers have easily dropped roughly 50% and staff are being sent home daily as there just isn't the children in.

After reading about the new Job Keeper Payment and being uneasy about potentially losing my job, I mentioned about this payment to my Director who said she would speak with the owner. Today we were told that no one is eligible as our centre hasn't lost 30% of its income (pretty sure that was the figure). I've spoke with a colleague who told me that she overheard a conversation that they are trying to keep their books full, so when/if the Government closes the service down, they would continued to be paid by who was still enrolled.

This just seems so dodgy and I have no idea where to go or who to speak to. Hopefully someone here can give advice or know of where I can go legally.

Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Job Keeper Payment $1500 per fortnight

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:22 am

Since the government has now added the Early Childhood Education and Care Relief Package this can be used in conjunction with the JobKeeper Payment in order to keep Educators working at the centre.

Numbers will begin to pick up once again as the government has announced free childcare.

Here is more info: Early Childhood Education and Care Relief Package

:geek:,
Lorina

kancmadu

Post by kancmadu » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi,
I'm running a Family Day Care centre.
My understanding was.
Normally we get paid 50% from Parents and 50% from the centerlink.
Now Parents pay 0% and Government pay us 100%.
Or that's not the case?
I'm a bit confused and no one explains this plain English.

Amber88

Post by Amber88 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 pm

No, unfortunately that's not how it works. The government are only paying 50%, and you are not allowed to ask parents to pay anything.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 pm

kancmadu wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 pm
Hi,
I'm running a Family Day Care centre.
My understanding was.
Normally we get paid 50% from Parents and 50% from the centerlink.
Now Parents pay 0% and Government pay us 100%.
Or that's not the case?
I'm a bit confused and no one explains this plain English.
Hi
I assume your a FDC educator (scheme info is slightly different)

It's somehow a simple and complex package all in one so I've tried to explain as best I can. There are many factors at play here.

Simply put, no we will not get 100%
We will now get 50% of whichever is lower:
- the hourly fee for the session of care, or
- the relevant CCS hourly rate cap (FDC)

This amount is calculated using the fortnight starting the 17th of February
Whatever the amount ends up as is your new income.
You should know by the end of the week.

FDC educators & schemes
Any levies, other fees, expenses etc will come from this new amount and parents must not pay anything at all

There are special applications schemes can complete for more money - conditions apply

You may be eligible for the jobkeeper payment. This is basically just an idea which must be agreed on and passed by our politicians.
You can only register at this stage.
This is not related to childcare.

The child care subsidy no longer exists - from April 6th we have the Early childhood education and care relief package.
This will be reviewed in a few month's time and may be extended.
CCS will be restarted when the Government chooses to due to the ongoing COVID- 19 pandemic

The new package is a little hard to understand and contains some benefits and some cons.

There are some links below that may help, you can also ask your scheme. Highly suggest you take the time to read through each

Please let me know if that makes sense.

https://www.dese.gov.au/covid-19/childc ... ldcare-faq

https://www.dese.gov.au/covid-19/childc ... KmUhFRyEw8

https://m.facebook.com/familydaycareaustralia/

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/gen/jobkeeper-payment/