How to convert wage levels between states

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Judyfish

How to convert wage levels between states

Post by Judyfish » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:25 am

Good morning!

I am a registered early childhood in QLD. I graduated in 2004 and have taught in preschool, prep, childcare centres and community kindergartens for the last 12 years. Now I'm searching for a teaching position in VIC, where I'm also registered. However, when it comes to finding out my exact hourly rate of pay, many challenges arise! I've called VIT, Department of Education and EAALA (I've yet to get through to the Fair Work Obudsman as their wait time is 30 min+), but so far no one can give me an answer.

My pay grade is Band 3, step 3 in QLD, how do I convert it to the VECTEA (The Victorian Early Childhood Teachers and Educators Agreement 2016)? My prospective employer proposed to pay me at a Level 1.1 rate during the probation period and afterwards change it to the level that is relevant to my qualification and experiences. How is it calculated? Why is it so difficult and non-transparent for ECTs who simply want to negotiate a fair pay for themselves?

Thank you for your time. :inlove:

Lorina

Re: How to convert wage levels between states

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:09 am

Ok, typically during the probation period an employer will pay "less" and when you're employed on a permanent basis, that's when they pay you the "right" amount. I would advise that you get everything in writing and signed so after your probation period you get what you deserve.

In regards to converting from QLD to Victoria, I will contact Fair Work Australia and find out for you. I'm not sure myself... I will let you know once I hear from them.

Hope this is alright!

:geek:,
Lorina