ECT Award Rate

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
normantee

ECT Award Rate

Post by normantee » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi there,

I am currently employed as an ECT in a childcare centre for approximately 1 year 3 months, graduated in December 2021.

Management recently informed me that I should be reviewed for a change from Level 1 to Level 2 award.

I am not familiar with how the structure works, if there is a cert or any document that I can keep for personal reference to prove my current level, or will it all be up to the centre's discretion?

Following that, does my level gets affected if I am to change centre? Clarification on these points will be highly appreciated. I am currently in Queensland and Queensland College wouldn't issue a teacher's registration (reason: they don't do it for ECT).

Thank you kindly.

Lorina

Re: ECT Award Rate

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:37 pm

Hi!

Quick question... do you know what Award you are on?

As per norms, it would be the Educational Services Teachers Award, however since you are based in QLD it may differ.

Would it be possible to let me know so I can find out the information for you.

Thanks!

:geek:,
Lorina

normantee

Post by normantee » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for the response! Of course, my current award details are as follows:

Educational Services (Teachers) Award 2010 (MA000077), Educational Services (Teachers) Award Level 1

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:31 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the information!

Level 2 usually is for teachers with proficient accreditation/registration or equivalent.

Proficient Teacher accreditation is a workplace-based process that supports teachers to develop their practice against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (the Standards). Provisionally and conditionally accredited teachers work towards Proficient Teacher accreditation when they start teaching in an approved centre-based early childhood service.

Provisionally and conditionally accredited teachers develop their practice at Proficient Teachers by participating in a range of professional activities 7 while employed as a teacher in a school/s/service/s.

To achieve Proficient Teacher accreditation, teachers with provisional or conditional accreditation must:

meet the Standards for Proficient Teacher
submit evidence that demonstrates they have reflected on their practice against the Standards and that their practice consistently meets the Standards to finalise their accreditation
if conditionally accredited, provide a certified copy of their transcript as evidence of completion of their teacher education program

For your reference: Classification Levels For ECT's

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:34 pm

I would also suggest you discuss with management any documentation you need to provide or whether will they make their decision after the review based on your overall performance.

In regards to changing centres, if you are going into an ECT position it would be at your current level so if you move up to Level 2 then the same level would apply at your new centre as well.

Lorina

normantee

Post by normantee » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:47 pm

Hi Lorina,

That's a lot of helpful information; all appreciated!

Based on the wording in 'Proficient Teacher accreditation is a workplace-based process', it seems it'll be up to management's discretion based on performance review.

On your second pointer regarding changing centres, I'm just curious how the new centre will check against my level; perhaps there's a record by myself or?

Sorry for the constant questioning! Thanks again for the replies.

Norman

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:08 pm

No problem! Please ask away! I'm happy to help! 😄

In regards to the new centre checking your level... you could show them your previous payslip - if it's mentioned or you can request a letter from management stating what level you are on...

Lorina

normantee

Post by normantee » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:15 pm

I see. Yea, the payslip does show the current Award, and I reckon a confirmation letter from management will be helpful too for personal reference, regardless of moving centres.

Thanks again for the weekend response, and wish you a great evening, Lorina!

Norman

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:22 pm

You're most welcome Norman!

Enjoy the week ahead!

Lorina

Traeh
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Traeh » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:29 am

I suspect that you may have a three year Bachelor qualifying you only for 0 to 5 years.

This will limit you for teaching opportunities and Qld teacher registration. You might look at enrolling in program that allows you to add that fourth year of study and change your qualification to a 0 to 8. This would open possibilities for Qld teacher registration, increase base salary, and career progression.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:25 pm

Traeh wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:29 am
I suspect that you may have a three year Bachelor qualifying you only for 0 to 5 years.

This will limit you for teaching opportunities and Qld teacher registration. You might look at enrolling in program that allows you to add that fourth year of study and change your qualification to a 0 to 8. This would open possibilities for Qld teacher registration, increase base salary, and career progression.
Great info and a great idea for future possibilities!

Lorina

normantee

Post by normantee » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:29 pm

Hi Traeh,

I did my Graduate Diploma of Education (Early Childhood) (1 year) in combination with my previous degree - Bachelor of Business (3 years), to make it 4 years, thus qualifying me as an ECT based on ACECQA criteria.

Not sure in the light of this information, your advice on 'enrolling in a program that allows you to add that fourth year of study and change your qualification to a 0 to 8' still stays? Cheers!