Diploma hired as an assistant

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
skatie0569

Diploma hired as an assistant

Post by skatie0569 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello.
This question pertains to my daughter who is a Diploma trained Educator. She's been working for over a year at a centre (and has been a qualified Diploma for about 3 years) we have recently suspected that she was maybe being underpaid. Her rate is $23.38 inclusive of casual loading and she is classified as a casual.
When she brought it up with the centre they told her she was a level 1.1 Support worker and not a casual Diploma worker at their centre. She says she was never told that information.. not least at the time she was first hired, they have only seen fit to advise her now that she has questioned it. They responded that they do not ask her to do any planning, reporting or daily reflections which she assumed was because they kept moving her around, much to her frustration.. now she knows why that was happening.

I'm wondering if perhaps she should at least be on a higher grade because of her qualifications alone. I think the centre has taken advantage of her skillset and experience in this instance. I have encouraged her to find another job where she is actually employed as a Diploma and hopefully she will get more hours as well however, finding a job has been difficult for her.
Achieving the Diploma was very hard fought, I think it was quite unfair of her centre to have done that to her.
What do you think about the rate she is on? Any advice would be appreciated.

Kelly