Cert 3 Pay increase query

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
abba88

Cert 3 Pay increase query

Post by abba88 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has been posted before but I had a look and couldn’t find a similar scenario.

I received my Cert 3 qualification in December 2019 and started working as a causal at the same centre I did my work placement at.

I only worked for 3 days in December 2019 and a casual (still am a casual).

I was out of the job for about 2.5 months due to covid, and resumed in mid June 2020.

I now only work at the centre 2 days a week since back from civic.

I’m on level 3.1 casual cert 3 pay rate however, my pay was never increased to reflect the award increase last June. My main question is, I’ve been at the centre for more than a year and I’m still on 3.1, shouldn’t I be on level 3.2?

I’ve emailed and emailed and FINALLY received a reply. Head office says they’ve looked into it and as I’m a casual, my rate will increase after 2 years (?!) not 1 year. So I’ll be on level 3.2 in December 2021.

Is this true? I tried calling Fairwork on my lunch break but had to wait over 30minutes. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to send a reply and want to ensure they’re not ripping me off! Many thanks :angel:

Lorina

Re: Cert 3 Pay increase query

Post by Lorina » Fri May 28, 2021 4:24 am

Hi!

To progress to the next level, you need to have at least 12 months experience working as a cert 3 qualified educator or if you work less than 19 hours a week, it will be 24 months.

You mentioned in your post that your pay doesn't reflect the pay increase in June. Each year the fair work ombudsman increases different awards based on a variety of different factors. Is this what you are referring too?

Since you received your qualification in December then typically your pay level increase will reflect from when you received your qualification. So, you would be on Level 3.1 from December 2019- December 2020, December 2020 - December 2021 Level 3.2, December 2021- December 2022 Level 3.3.

Since you work as a casual and may work less than 19 hours per week, it will take you longer to reach each level.

Can you tell me how much you are currently receiving? As per the Children's Services Award, as a casual cert 3 qualified educator at level 3.1 you should be receiving: $28.86/

I hope this helps with your query.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

:geek:,
Lorina

abba88

Post by abba88 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:35 am

Hi Lorina!
Thank you so much for your prompt response!
I work 16hours a week (Thursdays & Fridays) & since I was out of work at the centre for 2.5 months last year, does that mean they’re correct in saying I will receive my pay increase from Level 3.1 to Level 3.2 in December 2021?

I’m currently receiving $28.37 🙁. I wanted to sort out my level with them first. But if you confirm that I should be on level 3.2 in December 2021 I will write to them about the incorrect pay.

I’m new to the industry & been hearing from my colleagues & other people in the industry that pay discrepancies is quite prevalent in this industry.

Thanks again for your help & advice Lorina 💐

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Hey!

No problem glad I could help!

Ok so since you are working only 16 hour per week, it's going to take 24 months to reach your level, so yes they are right in regards to your increase being December 2021.

Now the only issue is, you are being paid below the minimum pay rate. So, this needs to be sorted out. You are supposed to be receiving $28.86/per hour. That is the minimum pay rate for level 3.1 as it states in the Children's Services Award. You cannot be paid lower than this, it's illegal... So, please let them know...

I would suggest you take a screen shot of the pay table in the Children's Services Award itself and send it along wit your email so you can use that as evidence.

I'll see if I can attach a copy for you.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 28, 2021 4:31 pm

casual_rate.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

abba88

Post by abba88 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:02 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for clarifying - I will email them straight away and get them to sort out ASAP.

Also, just thought I'll add that your dedication & commitment to this forum is very much appreciated! I know when I was doing my Cert 3 course, your forum helped me a lot of with my assessments :kiss: :clap:

Many thanks again

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 31, 2021 3:33 pm

Hi!

Hope you are able to get your pay issue sorted. Unfortunately there are many Educators getting paid wrongly mainly because of the Levels. The levels can be misinterpreted and I think some centres use that to their advantage to underpay staff.

That's why I feel it's important to constantly remind Educators on the Levels, pay, entitlements so you can get what you deserve.

Also, thank you so much for your kind words of support I really do appreciate it!

Enjoy the week ahead and if there are any problems let me know so we can take the next steps.

Lorina