Casual Wages?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ccSA

Casual Wages?

Post by ccSA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi,

SO I'm employed as a permanent-part-time assistant educator, with 7 hours on my contract.
However, I regularly work the same hours as a full-time employee. Eg. 37.5 hours ish /week.

Since I'm only working as a part-time permanent for 7 hours in the week, I feel like I should be paid as a casual for any hours I work outside the 7 hours in my contract. They do this in the retail industry, at Coles and other supermarkets, so I was wondering whether there was any such guideline in the ECE industry?

Thank you!

Lorina

Re: Casual Wages?

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Ok, so just trying to understand - do you only work for 7 hours in the week as a permanent part-time assistant? Do you have a signed contract stating these hours?

:geek:,
Lorina

Iris2
Participator
Participator

Re: Casual Wages?

Post by Iris2 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:25 pm

The contract usually just states your minimum hours but usually they give you more. It is completely legal. I think they just don't want to give full time contracts because then they have to give you a strict amount of hours. And as a permanent member you should get annual leave, personal leave and payed for public holidays when you would typically work. This is not provided to casuals which is why they get a higher rate.