Am I being under paid?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Pixie221

Am I being under paid?

Post by Pixie221 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I’m a cert 3 assistant and have been working in the industry for 6 years, I have been at my current centre for just over a year. I am currently studying my diploma, alongside my role as an assistant educator I am a certified supervisor for the centre and also one of two family grouping coordinators, whose role consists of -

Either being on opens or closes(open centre-close/lock centre) - in the morning before management arrives (good 2 1/2) hours I am in charge of the centre, ratios, phone calls, messages etc and in the evening I again am in charge when management leaves obtaining the same duties as opens and also with ratios when/if staff can leave, also ensuring the kitchen is cleaned last dishes are washed and same with laundry, I’m also required to write a program ensuring activities for all the children’s ages for the family grouping hours. I’m getting paid $23.00 an hour is this correct.

I have been of fair work and looked at the “levels” but I don’t really understand how they work ?
Your help/advice/information would be greatly appreciate!
Kind regards!

Lorina

Re: Am I being under paid?

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 am

As a cert 3 Educator with 6 years experience, you will be on Level 3.3 and your minimum hourly wage is $22.72. Since you are also writing programs even though you are not Diploma qualified as such you will be bumped up to a Level 4A which is also $22.72. Since you are getting $23.00/per hour you're being paid at above award rate so your wage is justified.

You also mentioned that when management leaves you're in charge, according to the Children's Service Award:

"if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 3 (cert 3 qualified educator) who is required to undertake duties of the Director/Management by reason of the Director’s non-attendance outside of core hours will not be entitled extra payment (higher duties etc.)".

So basically from the information, you told me you are getting paid correctly.

:geek:,
Lorina

Pixie221

Post by Pixie221 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Okay thank you so much ! 😊

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

You're welcome!

:geek:,
Lorina