A Trainee Wages Concern For An Adult

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Girlie

A Trainee Wages Concern For An Adult

Post by Girlie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:45 am

Hi to all! I would like to ask, what is the pay rate for a trainee? I'm still studying for my Cert.3 and I'm in 30+ of age. A long day care offer me a trainee job for a rate of AU$14.00/hr, for 15 hours per week while I'm still studying. They are very open that they like to get me after I receive my certificate with a pay rate of AU$20+. But my concern is just for a trainee wages. Does the AU$14.00 a fair wage for an adult trainee like me? I'm still thinking twice to accept the job or not. Thank you all in advance for your advice. Have a good day.

Lorina

Re: A Trainee Wages Concern.

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:49 am

In the Children's Services Award 2010 the minimum hourly wage for a full time/part time apprenticeship for an adult is $17.91/per hour for the first year and increases after the second year to $18.53/per hour.

I'm attaching a copy of the Children's Services Award for your reference. It's listed under "Apprentice".

[attachment=0]childrens-services-award-2010-[MA000120]-pay-guide (5).rtf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Girlie

Re: A Trainee Wages Concern For An Adult

Post by Girlie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 am

Oh my! I was shocked for the $3 difference. Thanks for your reply, Lorina.

wishuponastar

Post by wishuponastar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 am

oo wow!, my company paid less, they only paid me $15.41/ hour...what should i do?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Girlie wrote:Oh my! I was shocked for the $3 difference. Thanks for your reply, Lorina.
That's why it's always important to check with the Children Services Award. It tells you how much you should be paid (minimum). Then you can verify if what you are being offered is fair or not. In this case, you just need to let them know that you checked the Children's Services Award and tell them how much it shows in there... They shouldn't be offering less then what it mentions!

Always dealing with wages and employers is the hardest part. Sometimes they knowingly pay less! I mean if you are owning and running a centre you should know the right wages to pay! Yet, it still happens! Very frustrating!!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:57 pm

wishuponastar wrote:oo wow!, my company paid less, they only paid me $15.41/ hour...what should i do?
The wage mentioned above was effective from the 01 July 2014. I'm not sure when you completed your traineeship, how long ago was it and are you an adult completing your traineeship? There are different wages for traineeships depending on your age "under 17, 18" etc.

Lorina

wishuponastar

Post by wishuponastar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:09 am

I started on 30 april 2014, my traineeship still going , yes I am an adult over 30

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:45 am

Hi Wishuponastar,

Did you know that you can start doing Family Day Care while you are studying for your cert 111, set your own hourly pay rate and your own hours and days, working with little ones or school age and working from home with the support of an FDC Scheme?

Linsaa fdc :wave:

wishuponastar

Post by wishuponastar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 pm

I didn't know about this, I thought I have to have certificate before look after the child. thanks for letting me know :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 am

wishuponastar wrote:I started on 30 april 2014, my traineeship still going , yes I am an adult over 30
From the 01 July 14 your wage should of changed... You would need to discuss this with your Director.

Lorina

Girlie

Post by Girlie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi Again,

I'm back with almost the same question. I've done with my Certificate 3 but still waiting for my certificate. My previous workplacement centre offer me a casual job, 3x a week with a salary of $19.00/hr for an adult like me. Is it a right salary? How about part-time job, are they the same with casual? The Director said, they will increase with $1 when I get my written Certificate. I'm not sure what level am I, but I think Level 3.1 if I'm not mistaken. I saw from children's services award that I can receive $23-$24/hr, am I right? Or is it depend in the child care centre what to offer you? They will not also pay me on my 30 mins break. Sorry for all my questions. I'm just new in child care. Thank you so much.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 am

Hi Girlie,

I'm just going to get back to your question in regards to pay because the minimum wages has just been increased in the Children's Services Award from the 01 July 2015. We have to update our wage table in the next day or so. I'll confirm your wage questions once I check out the new wage rates in the Children's Services Award. I just don't want you to have the wrong information, so I'll get back to you as soon as possible...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:30 am

Hi Girlie,

I got a copy of the new wages which has come into effect from the 01 July 2015. I'm yet to update the "Childcare Wages" article which I'll do within the next day.

In regards to your question as a cert 3 qualified worker you will be on Level 3.1. As a causal your minimum wage is $25.16/per hour. If you're Director is waiting for your certificate but your doing the assistant position then I think you'll be on Level 3A and the minimum wage is $24.78/per hour. This means that you should not be getting below the minimum wage stated in the Children's Modern Award.

Here is a copy for your reference:

[attachment=0]childrens-services-award-ma000120-pay-guide.docx[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Girlie

Post by Girlie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for all your reply and informations. It's really a big help. I don't want to lose my job but I have to talk about this with my Director.

Thanks again.

Girlie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:52 am

Hi Again Girlie,

Yes, you really have to talk about this with your Director as they really need to be paying you the right amount! They are legally obligated to! It's not worth being underpaid to keep your job! You deserve at least the minimum.

Let me know how it goes,

Lorina

Girlie

Post by Girlie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your concern. I will let you know how it goes.

Girlie

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:49 am

Until you get your Cert III in hand you will be paid as an unqualified worker and perm part time is different from casual.
If you have been offered a position your level and whether you are PPT or casual would be mentioned. The pay would be quite different if you are a PPT not a casual and may explain if you seem to be getting less than what you think you should.

How many hours a week are you working? Are your days set?

Permanent employees usually are contracted at 40 hours / week (Mon - Fri)
PPT employees are usually contracted at 38 hours / week (Mon - Fri) or they will have agreed that they work X hours on X Y Z days.
Casuals usually will have no contracted hours and usually are like "on call" staff who fill in when someone calls in sick etc ... Casuals get paid more / hour than Perm and PPT staff but hours / week are not guaranteed

Lunch breaks most commonly are unpaid unless stated otherwise in your contract. So no you would not be paid for a 30 min break. If you do a 7.5 hour shift with 1/2hr break you will be paid for 7 hours work that day.

Hope this helps

Girlie

Post by Girlie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,

Yes, I am a casual as my Director mentioned. 3 days/wk. This week, she set my schedule from 8.30am-4pm, unlike before, I will start 9am or 8.30am. Now, I'm working for 7 hr/day.

Thanks for the infos.

chichi
Helper
Helper

Post by chichi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi,

I had an interview with a new childcare center that are about to open soon.

I had completed a bachelor of social work and diploma in community service welfare previously and at the moment I'm thinking of changing my path to childcare because I really enjoy working with children.

I'm over 30 year of age. The director told me that I could do a certificate 3 trainee with them work 38hours full time while studying through the centre, as a trainee payment would be $15.80 per hour is that right? (Does the center cover all the cost for the course or do I have to pay some of it?)

The center also said another option is to do the certificate myself through TAFE and I will start as a child educator with them for $17.60 is that right pay?

Which option are more better? I'm new to this industry would really appreciated for some help please.

Girlie

Post by Girlie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Lorina and to all,

I'm back. Sorry for my absences. My wages now as a casual worker is $19/hr. As a certificate graduate, I'm doing everything from managing 10 children (2-3 y/o) documents (weekly programming, daily book/diary, weekly reflection and learning stories) down to cleaning. I gave my transcript of records 3 months ago, but still my wages are the same. My director said before, she will increase my wages from $19 to $20 if I showed my certificate. But I already gave them my TOR as a proof of my competencies in every subjects. Do I need to start looking for a new centre to work with? Thanks in advance.