Trainee woes

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Headintheclouds

Trainee woes

Post by Headintheclouds » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 am

So I'm two weeks into a trail for a traineeship and I'm thinking of quitting. To put it in a nutshell the staff yell at the children and the children listen for about two seconds if that. Some even yell at toddlers under two which seems really really pointless to me seeing as they don't yet understand language that well. Then the other day one of the staff members grabbed a child by the ear to get them to sit down, not hard at all but it still seemed really inappropriate. That child's day consisted of running around, being yelled at to sit down, then running around again and somehow he managed to not put sunscreen on his face and refused to put on a hat and so landed up absolutely sunburnt and to top things all off I don't think he ate properly because he was running around during meal times aswell. One of the staff carried this child to me kicking and yelling and told me to hold onto his arm while he screamed and to not let go - I didn't hold onto his arm because I was worried about dislocating his shoulder but thanks to my lack of assertiveness did hold onto him while she yelled at him to say sorry and then when he had (but had not at all calmed down) she let him go. I should have just said no. Later that day I got the same child to help me with folding wipes and tucking in chairs and he behaved perfectly which just goes to show that he could with the right activity. But there is at least one child who has a day like that everyday - getting yelled at in the morning then getting stressed by it and then misbehaving the entirety of the day. It's sort of like the staff are dealing with one big machine that is building up pressure and about to explode (misbehave) at any moment and when it does they just screw the lid back on by yelling instead of dealing with each part of the machine (each child) and working out what makes them tick and how the whole thing can fit together smoothly.

All this is not to say that their aren't positives. The director has already told me that she is trying to make changes and whenever she talks with the children it's really amazing how well the behave and listen because she is a really good teacher it's just shes not on the floor most of the time. Plus I've had fun with the kids and there are a few I will miss if I quit I think.

So I'm worried that if I do quit I wont be able to find another traineeship or that the next one I find will have similar problems (I don't know how common or uncommon this is?).

Lorina

Re: Trainee woes

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 am

Hi Abby,

The centre you are currently dong your traineeship at, by the sounds of it are not working ethically and you’re right it is extremely inappropriate how the staff are dealing with behavioral issues and how they are interacting with the children.

I understand at times we get frustrated when dealing with the same child over and over, especially when they are not listening etc., however grabbing a child by the ear and screaming at them is obviously not going to make the situation any easier… in fact the children will become more aggressive, knowing that they are getting so much attention from their misbehavior.

Have you spoken to the director about staff mistreating the children? I mean it’s not right what is happening and the director should have an idea about what’s going in her centre. To me, she sounds like she knows what she is doing when interacting with the children… why doesn’t she talk to the staff about how to manage behavior, guide and support the staff on how to treat the children properly. Children shouldn’t be treated the way you described it’s completely unethical and it’s not fair and it shouldn’t be this way in the childcare industry!

Listen, not all centres are the same, some are good, some are great and like you’re experiencing some are pretty awful. If you’re not comfortable I’d say leave. You shouldn’t be made to work somewhere, where they are not even following correct procedures. You’re doing your traineeship and you should be learning and gaining experience, this centre doesn’t seem to be giving you anything positive…

I hope this doesn’t put you off childcare,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 am

Wow
I agree with LA
1. I think the Director needs to be aware of staff pulling on ears etc, this is totally unacceptable behaviour no matter how badly a child is behaving.
2. Sounds like the staff lack the proper skills to motivate the children and come up with ideas and ways to involve the children.
3. If this centre is not teaching you anything then find a new one ... no point staying somewhere where you will learn nothing at all.

Headintheclouds

Post by Headintheclouds » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for your help. I quit the center today. The director knows about the staff pulling ears and I hope some things will change. I am looking for a new traineeship. It is good to think that there are other opportunities out there and hopefully some will come my way. While it wasn't a good experience I defiantly want to give working in childcare a proper go.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Good on you! It does take a lot of courage to do what you did... Take a breather and now you won’t have to worry about going back to that centre.

From what you have witnessed, you have an option to report the centre to DOCS. You could give them an anonymous call and tell them what you have observed, the staff interaction with the children about how they scream, pull ears etc. They will take your report and then they will make an anonymous visit to the centre to talk to the director about the complaints made and do a spot check etc. Now, it’s obviously your choice whether you want to make a report or not and the decision it’s up to you.

I’m happy to hear that you are continuing in the childcare industry and this little incident hasn’t turned you off childcare completely.

I’m sure you will find a centre that you will feel comfortable at and can learn from… I wish you the very best and hope you complete your traineeship at a good centre.

:geek:,
L.A

Headintheclouds

Post by Headintheclouds » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Thankyou for all your advice. I really needed some outside perspective. Anyway I have a new traineeship starting next year and from the short trail that I had at the center I can really see the difference in how the staff treat the children.