too old for a traineeship???

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tjd

too old for a traineeship???

Post by tjd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi ,
I am 32 year old mother of 2 boys and i am thinking about doing a Traineeship in child care as i have had some previous casual work in a few centres before i had my children and want some hands on experience rather than studying at TAFE.
I really want to work in Child care but i think i might be too old to start a traineeship.

Lorina

Re: too old for a traineeship???

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi tj,

You’re not too old to start a traineeship I say go for it!!!!

My assistant in my toddler room is a mature lady and I have so much respect and love for her…she is fantastic!! I say you should seriously consider it…

You can certainly do the traineeship in childcare to get hands on experience. But make sure that you are commited and determined to complete it once you get started. I have seen many people in the past who started to do a traineeship and later either lost interest in studying or didnt want to do any assignments and all...So I would say that "Self Motivation" is more important that Age. Especially if you havent been studying for a few years gap in between.

Remember, once you complete what you started, its the best feeling. Also I personally dont think that traineeship is that hard to complete and you can finish it fairly easily if you are focussed...

So I reckon you should go for it if thats what you want to do..Even if you start your career now, you still have atleast another 25 years you can work..so yeah...you are still young!

take it easy and wish you all the best!

:geek:,
L.A

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Sun May 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Never too old! I am 53 and just starting my career in childcare. I am zooming through Cert III, aiming for my diploma, love studying, love working with preschoolers and toddlers and bringing my lifeskills into focus. Now that my own children are grown up I am loving coming back to early childhood a bit wiser and able to give so much . It is also essential that we take good care of our own health and well-being so that we can be the best possible educators for the little ones.

justme

Post by justme » Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm

If you can afford the really really super low pay then go for it.

Did you know the average pay for trainees is about $9-$12 per hour.

I know of an older lady who has started her traineeship. Her husband supports them so money is not an issue - She just wants to do something for herself.

coosa

Post by coosa » Mon May 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Im 36 and in a traineeship :) your never too old...go for it

elizabeth

Post by elizabeth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 am

I'm 52 and doing my Cert III.

I was taught maths by a teacher in her 80s (yes, eighties, and she could beat the boys at arm wrestling! If you're curious how that came about ask me and I'll explain.) and my children were taught scripture by a woman in her 80s.

If you can sit on the floor and get up again you're not too old to do child care - extra life experience can only be an asset.

lorena_mcculloch

Post by lorena_mcculloch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Im 37 and mother of 2 kids as well and just started doing my cert 3 and im loving it...
Your not old if you have passion for kids then go for it...

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 am

If you think this is what you want to do and are willing to work for very little pay while doing the traineeship then go for it. Age has no relevance ... I am 36 and doing a degree and was 34 when I did my Diploma ... I think being more mature will be an advantage.

annabel30

Post by annabel30 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm

You are not too old to start. I am 54 and just started my diploma, last year I did my cert111. Go for it and best of luck. :)

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I am loving this thread- kudos to all in their more mature years for training and furthering themselves in the Early Childhood sector- we certainly bring the richness of life experience- a perfect complement to the vigor and energy of youth! Most inspirational. :D