Study Time At Work During Diploma Traineeship

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nilima

Study Time At Work During Diploma Traineeship

Post by nilima » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,
i am very new for this site. but from many days i want you to ask about my study.
i always read forum and i am happy to see all responses from each other.
ok, now i am studying my diploma which is work base training and i work 30 hours in each week so how much study time i entitled to.
Thank you in advance. i am waiting for reply.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited, topic moved from Supporting Childcare Workers forum

Lorina

Re: About study time

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:43 am

Hi Nilima,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

It's a good question you have asked... Through my experience I think you should get an hour or so a week for studying, although most of the time you won't be able to get much study done while you're at work. I know that while doing a traineeship that you should be allowed study time, yes it is your right however in most cases you will have to finish assessments and assignments at home. There is so much that needs to be done within a centre that you will never find the time.

I suggest you email the Fair Work Ombudsmen and ask them. This way if your employer doesn't give you any study time you can mention that it is their legal right to do so. http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/a ... ments.aspx

Sorry I don't know exactly how much study time you should receive,

:geek:,
L.A

nilima

Re: Study Time At Work During Diploma Traineeship

Post by nilima » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for your reply L.A it is really helpful.

sr004

Re: Study Time At Work During Diploma Traineeship

Post by sr004 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi, I'm also doing my diploma as a trainseeship. I only work part time and was told by my trainer that I am entitled to an hour and a half a week being part time and if I was to work full time it would be three hours a week to study. I don't know if this varies state to state or study provider, I'm from Victoria. If you don't get anywhere quick with the Fair Work Ombudsmen I would suggest to ask your trainer - by this I don't mean the people employing you but the company that runs the training program. Where I currently work has been great in giving me my study time, I have it on a day when there is a quiet period, we are a small centre though. I know from experience in working in a chain (ABC/Goodstart) that some of the ladies there would be offered study days every once and a while, so didn't necessarily get their hours each week but once a month would have a whole day of study and a casual would be employed to cover them. It's very disappointing that your Director hasn't worked this out with you, I hope it get's sorted soon, because I always find this study time at work very valuable and I'm sure you will too. In the meantime keep a record of how many weeks you've been doing your traineeship and record any hours you do get to study at work. Otherwise if you get a hour here and there you might loose track and be unsure what you are owed. Good luck!