New at Childcare (traineeship)

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Danielle
Participator
Participator

New at Childcare (traineeship)

Post by Danielle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to this website but have been reading some of it's
forums to get a better understanding for what's ahead of me.
I called a relatively new child care center and asked if they have a traineeship
in children services for certificate 3 and they do :) the interview has been set up
for tomorrow after lunch time.
Though here is the disadvantage for me... I have no experience with children or any basic
knowledge and have done no baby sitting so I'm very much unprepared for what's ahead of me
and what's worse is I'm afraid of being nervous, resulting in mistakes and that ending up
being my downfall but even so I know that this is something I want to do. I just need allot of advice.
I read a forum on this site on what to expect but more advice would be very much appreciated.
I would like to be successful in this interview and start my way in a career in child care :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: New at Childcare (traineeship)

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

My advice would be to just show your willingness to learn and your love for children to shine through. You obviously are dedicated if you want to get a qualification, not everyone has experience with kids before they step into childcare but if you know this is what you want to do and are a hard worker then an employer cannot ask for more.
Don't be nervous in the interview, even if they ask you scenario based questions just use your common sense to answer them. If you really do not know something don't lie about it ... go prepared with questions of your own....ask if they can recommend any books etc for you to read .... ask to look around the centre and if children approach you etc say hello to them, smile to staff etc .... sometimes its the little things that make the difference.
Good Luck let us know how it goes

Danielle
Participator
Participator

Post by Danielle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Thankyou so much
I never considered asking about a book, I will do that also.
I was reading a post and I believe it was
you if my memory serves me well :)
about asking them to show you around the center since hardly anyone asks that and
agree. I really hope I get it.
Thankyou again.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network and welcome to this industry! Your'e definitely going to get into a ride of your lifetime as you begin your first steps in Childcare... I also started a traineeship when I first begin Childcare and I'm so glad that I did because it gave me a lot of experience and learning in working in a team, being responsible and reliable and also to know about child development etc. It's I think one of the best ways to start out... So your'e going to have fun, although it is hard work at times! :giggle:

Regarding your interview don't get too stressed about it (I know probably saying that doesn't really help either..lol..)... The job position is for a traineeship and this basically means you are starting right from the beginning. The employer will most probably understand that you won't have any experience but as long as you tell them that you are willing to learn and be part of the team and they like you then that's all that matters. Having experience to start a traineeship isn't essential!

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Danielle
Participator
Participator

Post by Danielle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Thankyou L.A

That's true :) even if I don't succeed there's another child care
center also nearby that I will ask about a traineeship.
My other concern is if I do pass the interview, there will also
be assignments. Were you also working with the childcare center
fulltime and doing the assignments, did you find it hard to manage?

p.s: interview is today!!! :party:
I'm not sure what to wear though. I am currently wearing
black slacks (flared) don't have straight slacks.
A brown shirt, it's kind low neck/v shape. I normally wear a camisole/singlet
and beneath tops like these and I'm wearing a black one. I'm still worried about
it being revealing though. Is it alright to post a link? It's not of me
but of a girl with a sort of similar top that I am wearing.
It is an interview but it is also a child center, should I wear something more casual?
My other option is blue jeans and a black top.

Other than that, if the interview is at 1
what time should I arrive there?

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 am

hey there Danielle

How did you go? Good I hope.

I am one of the few males in childcare. I started my Bachelor of Education ( early childhood studies) before I even had a job in childcare. I just knew i wanted to do it. So six months in I decided to start applying. i got two job offers within one week. one was fulltime the other part time. I took the full time one and havent looked back since. ive decided to defer my bachelor and do the cert 3 ( so i can get a pay rise) then go and finish the bachelor.
regarding the study load, dont worry about it. theres heaps of info on this site and if you need I can help you find more information. my suggestion is to study online. that way you can study at your own pace and complete the units as you go.
good luck and let us all know if you have any others questions.

Cheers
Dragonstorm
(andrew)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Danielle,

Just wanted to catch up and see how things went with your traineeship interview... Have you got a job yet? How are you find working in a centre?

:geek:,
L.A