Has Anyone Done A Childcare Traineeship?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Heather_91

Has Anyone Done A Childcare Traineeship?

Post by Heather_91 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi, I finished high school last year and just got back from holidays. I am thinking about doing a traineeship for certificate 3 in children's services. I was just wondering if anyone has done it and can provide me with some information about it also is it worth doing a traineeship or going to tafe to complete certificate 3 before getting a job in childcare...

Lorina

Re: Has Anyone Done A Childcare Traineeship?

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:03 pm

A traineeship is a full-time or part-time employment based training arrangement. During the course of a traineeship, a trainee gains work experience and has the opportunity to learn new skills in a hands-on environment. On successful completion, the trainee earns a nationally recognized qualification.

When I first started working in childcare I did my certificate 3 through a traineeship where I was working at the time. It really helped as the staff were able to explain things to me as well as guide me through the course quite easily. I was able to finish my course within a year. The hands on experience you gain while working is vey helpful and a great opportunity for you to understand each of the assignments better.

Here are both pros and cons for doing a traineeship which I will share with you.

Pros:
- you are given the opportunity to learn skills while you are studying so therefore makes the assignments easier.
- there are plenty of experienced staff that can help and guide you through your learning.
- you can complete the course quicker.
- you get paid to study!!

Cons:
- although you are supposed to study at work you may not be given the opportunity therefore you have to take the
assignments at home with you to complete.
- the pay for traineeships isn't great.
- you have to be able to manage your time to be able to complete and submit assignments.
- you have to motivate yourself!!

Later when I was doing my diploma of children's services I did that through correspondence, while I was working full time (38hrs per week) at a childcare centre. I found it very difficult to concentrate on my studies as there wasnt sufficient time during the day to complete any part of my assignments, only on the weekend which I found hard to seperate work life from my personal life. The only option was to quit work and focus solely on my studies.

By doing this I was able to complete my diploma in 4 months instead of the 2 years that was given to me. When it came to my work experience to complete my diploma I was able to finish that lastly at a childcare centre near where I was living.

My advise to you is that it is best to start as a traineeship. In NSW (I'm not sure all over Australia, I'll find out more info for you) they have started doing diploma traineeships (study while you work) which I believe is a great opportunity for childcare professionals to get a qualification without losing money.

Personally I think it's best to do a traineeship. There is nothing more valuable than getting hands on experiences whcih will help you to easily complete the assignments. Look at some childcare job ads in your area which are offering certificate 3 traineeships and go and have an interview. You can discuss with the centre director about the traineeship and how it will work. From there you can make a decision whether to continue it or go to tafe and study!

:geek:,
L.A

Heather_91

Post by Heather_91 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for the great advice... I had never expected to get such great information so once again thank you :D

I have decided to do a traineeship for my certificate 3. I understand from what you are saying that money isnt great to begin with but the hands on experience will be very valuable...

I am beginning to look for a job as I type and I'm keeping my options open for the centre which I feel most comfortable at...

Thanks once agin for all the info

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

I would like to recommend to any of you who is thinking of starting a childcare traineeship in Aus to read the article on our site called "Starting A Childcare Traineeship" This article will provide you with detailed information on starting a traineeship in childcare and information on what to do. This article has been written through personal experiences which gives you an insight to working as a trainee in childcare.

I hope you will find this information useful!

:geek:,
L.A