Diploma Traineeship - I am not allowed study time.

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Misse84
Helper
Helper

Diploma Traineeship - I am not allowed study time.

Post by Misse84 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 am

I finished my certificate last year as a trainee,and now have started my Diploma,also as a trainee.

I decided to do it via correspondence,so I can work full-time. My TAFE teacher told me that my director has to by law,release me for three hours a week to study and pay me for it.

But she won't,she never even told us about it.I brought it up and she got annoyed,saying that if I worked harder I will maybe be allowed.

So I am struggling to study at home,and now I arranged to go to tafe after work twice a week.Which means I will get home by ten o clock or later.

My teacher is upset because myself and the other trainee do not get the study time. All my director does is complain about the staff and how she does everything.

I know I could leave,but finding a center that will take me as a trainee is hard.I know I have a better chance getting a job with a diploma.I am going to work my butt off to get this done in 2013.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Supporting Childcare Workers At Work & topic heading edited

Lorina

Re: Diploma Traineeship - I am not allowed study time.

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Bubuella,

What your director is doing is unethical and you should be given study time during work hours... This is the whole point of you doing a traineeship, so you can study and work at the same time. Your director telling you that if you "worked harder" then maybe she'll allow you is a complete joke! Not a good way at all to be treating staff like that!!

Obviously this centre isn't the ideal place on where you should be doing your traineeship especially with a director like that...

Would you be able to get your TAFE teacher to talk to your director ensuring that you get some time during work to complete your study? Is there someone in a higher position than your director that you can report this too?

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:46 pm

I would be noting down how many weeks she did not give you your study time ... at one centre a girl was not given her study time and when she was given it she had so much time that I think she had a weeks worth of study time!

You should get your study time and it is not right that you are denied it. I would complain to TAFE and ask them to speak to her about it.

Cannot believe people think they can do thinks like this and get away with it!

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you ladies. I am not going to bother to discuss this with her, she will just blow up and say no. She even told the other girl to study on her break.

Even if she gave me study time now, she would give me a hard time and make me feel like I am giving her a hard time.

I should be going to tafe after work next month, I am just going to finish this Diploma off now and get another job.

Just upset that she is getting so much money for it as well.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 pm

I would give it to your TAFE provider in writing ... as well as anyone else involved in your traineeship that you were given no study time at work for the duration of your study.
Shocking. I would call DOCS and 'anonymously' tip them off on her behaviour

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks fefe, I will do that. I called Docs last year but nothing ever happened.There are so many things she does wrong that I could write a book. It is starting to make me depressed and I just want to finish my Diploma and get out of there.

tracyck1

Post by tracyck1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:03 am

I'm doing mine as a trainee this year and i get 3 hrs study and they should give you ur study time and u r in title to !!

lucypham87

Post by lucypham87 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:49 pm

same here, my director doesn't organise any study time for me. I concern to ask hers for my study hours. it's not fair at all, most of my workmates are director's friends, they have(One day off) every month for study.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm finding the same as a cert III trainee... I've had maybe 4 hours study time in 6 months. I work 45 hours a week and no study time. I asked the 2IC about it once and she told me there's just not enough staff, there's no one to cover me for study time :(

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:00 am

lucypham87 wrote:same here, my director doesn't organise any study time for me. I concern to ask hers for my study hours. it's not fair at all, most of my workmates are director's friends, they have(One day off) every month for study.

How unfair is that! That's the problem with directors having "friends" to work with... All other staff are treated differently. If you have a head manager or someone higher than the director than you should let them know! Not right at all!

To all of you doing traineeships that are not getting study time at work you need to talk to your course provider and let them know. Part of the agreement as per your traineeship is for the centre to allow you study time while at work. Too many centres are taking advantage of this and it's not fair!

L.A

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:11 am

Best not to do traineeship if not given time for it at work. Doing it in your own time prefer online no hassle just internet.

:D

lucypham87

Post by lucypham87 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Lorina wrote:
lucypham87 wrote:same here, my director doesn't organise any study time for me. I concern to ask hers for my study hours. it's not fair at all, most of my workmates are director's friends, they have(One day off) every month for study.

How unfair is that! That's the problem with directors having "friends" to work with... All other staff are treated differently. If you have a head manager or someone higher than the director than you should let them know! Not right at all!

To all of you doing traineeships that are not getting study time at work you need to talk to your course provider and let them know. Part of the agreement as per your traineeship is for the centre to allow you study time while at work. Too many centres are taking advantage of this and it's not fair!

L.A
thanks Lorina for your message. I even don't know how to apply for funding.