Too much paperwork

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: Too much paperwork

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:00 pm

lisa1980 wrote: Hi L.A - what do you mean by
7) Individual Child Programming and Planning Summary (using the info gathered from the observation and to be put in child portfolios)??? is that the Child Directed Observations we take?
Can you put up an example so we can have a look for us?

The Programming & Planning Summary is a document I use at the centre I work at. At the end of the year when we give each child their portfolio we keep their monthly observations and replace it with the Programming and Planning Summary instead. So, this is how it works - I do a child observation then using the information from the observation fill in the Programming & Planning Summary.. It's basically doubling up on one observation you take of each child just to be able to include it into their portfolio. It's not something I believe is necessary to do but unfortunately it's a part of the documentation for the centre.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

FionaC85

Post by FionaC85 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:27 pm

This is my first post but I have been reading this forum for a while. I am not surprised at the amount of stressed child carers we have as i am one too but I have found th EYLF to be a bit of a stress buster for me. I found convential planning over the developmental domains quite backwards and boring, now i am excited that i can do what the kids want when they want. I am working for a centre that are very dedicated to the big picture which is lucky and I get 4 hours programming time per week. To manage my work load i have asked to have this broken up into 2 hour slots on different days, this way i can get some paper work done and implement some changes that i can go back and document later. So many of you are talking about "taking observations" i dont do that anymore as this took away my time from actually being in the moment with the children, i have focussed on building up my open ended resources in the room and recording anything that i think is of good quality rather than everything i see the child doing. i know for some of you being able to justify this to your directors etc is a long shot but the proof is in the pudding when you see "problem children" calming down a bit, you will retain alot of mental information about the activities because you have been actively involved with the children rather than an observer looking in.
Having a camera in each room in the centre means you can record information quickly and accurately a quick snap and during planning when you go through the weeks photos you know what photos you took and why. i keep a small excersise book in my room to jot down dot points daily and i regularly read over this during sleep time to see if the group or a particular child has had a reoccuring interest for example or a moment of significance. I ask my assistants to record important points also which helps a treat and also any new experiences they put out and why and also ideas that we may not be able to implement straight away but the note is there so as soon as we get the resources it can happen. all of these little things have enabled me to write learning stories and group stories that are detailed and true to the children. Learning to put the paperwork last so to speak means that i am providing a great learning environment which is the primary goal. It may take some time to do this but little changes make big differences.

P.s sorry if I'm rambling on its Christmas time I'm buggered!

chrisfdc1

Post by chrisfdc1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:09 pm

I have just joined this wonderful site and have found it to be a great help. I am a Family Day Care Educator and and trying very hard to implement the EYLF. As I''m responsible for 4 children daily, I have found the extra paperwork very difficult. My kids range from 4mths to 3.5yrs so planning, observing, interacting, researching etc are all done by myself. Often I am spending all day saturday/sunday trying to get paperwork done, however, I love your curriculum plan which I will definately try to implement. One query, when writing out the outcomes, eg 3:2, we have been told that it needs to be written out in full each time (not just the numbers) but also to include the example given in the Belonging, Being & Becoming Book! I have written out an exmple, my query is, is this just a scheme based decision or does anyone else have to put this much info in their outcomes?

Example: 2:1:A - Beging to recognise that they have a right to belong to many communities

Thanks,

chris :|

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Chris,

Welcome To Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

One query, when writing out the outcomes, eg 3:2, we have been told that it needs to be written out in full each time (not just the numbers) but also to include the example given in the Belonging, Being & Becoming Book!

I haven't heard of this before but I guess it depends on what you are doing. I mean if you are doing a curriculum plan (for example) and you already have a list of all the Learning Outcomes that you can refer back to on the document itself then I wouldn't be bothered adding the whole Learning Outcome in full, I would just add the number. However, I also add Learning Outcomes onto each child's art n craft (as an evaluation) and when I do this I add the Learning Outcome in full. For example: On Monday we did Finger Painting as an extension of learning, so onto each of the artwork I added L/O 4.1 - Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity (which I wrote in full). So basically, if on the document itself L/O's are already displayed I would just add the number but if not than you should probably write it in full.

Hopefully this makes sense!

L.A

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 am

catchmeifucan wrote:
by tee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm
Also, before i forget haha, what is being done about it? or is it one of those things that they can't do much about

What can we do about it? This is how I see it, if the industry requires us to document and manage this much paperwork, then we have to do it even if we feel its too much. I have noticed heaps of people carrying on about the paperwork loads, etc..etc..I totally agree, I am not saying its not true..but this is a good question "What can we do about it?". So I just started to practice myself in doing the paperworks efficiently so I dont waste too much time whining about this..

You can also read this article in our Resources written by L.A that suggest various ideas on Managing Paperworks.

In my experience, this is the equation I worked out: Managing Paperworks = Managing Time. its that simple...
I know the industry might require this documentation but I found I could communicate with parents alot better if I wasn't busy all day doing paper work and when I took time to interact with the children I would be stressing in the back of my mind about the paper work I had to get done for the day but wasn't, I was one of thoese who would carry on about it because it would stress me out so much it got to a point where the stress took its toll and I left my job.
When I left my boss told me she didn't want me to leave and if I ever needed work to give her a call as I was a very valued employee, Im not tooting my own horn but thats the facts, I beleived the paper work took its toll on me and I it took the pasion away from my job.
I could not manage all that paper work and if you talk about time managment, how do you manage that when you have 0-5 year olds just wanting you to spend time with them.
If parents could manage their workload while at work they would take their children to work with them then they wouldn't need child care, why are we expected to take on all that paper work while looking after their children, we probably spend more hours compleating our work than these parents would spend in their working week.
The point Iam getting to is I left my job because the paper work took its toll, I know alot of girls who are casuals and would not work full time for the same reason, and if someone doesn't do something about the paperwork the industry will lose alot more valued employee's.

grandma
Participator
Participator

Post by grandma » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree with you justathought and I have friends who have left the industry. I have considered it myself but thanks to LA I have a better grip on the situation now and yes there is still too much paper work however as time goes on and we understand it a bit more I think we will be OK. I love the work I do and after 20 plus years in preschools I am loving family day care in my own environment. I have a theory that if I have a day where I dont have time to do all the documentation because the children have needed me more then thats how it will be, after all isnt that why we are doing this job.
I hope one day you can find your passion again and get back into the industry. the industry cant afford to lose good valued workers

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm

I could not manage all that paper work and if you talk about time managment, how do you manage that when you have 0-5 year olds just wanting you to spend time with them.

Yes you are right. Its not easy. But this is how I see it. Unfortunately these paperworks has to be completed and we have to find a balance of taking care of the children and completing the paperwork. I know that it is really really hard to try and manage paperworks when you are supervising children but time management seem to have worked for me. It didnt happen overnight. It took time and I slowly got a hang of it. For example - At the moment I am the room leader for toddlers and I have 16 children a day with another staff member. More than half the children are new enrolments and then the rest have transitioned from the nursery. It's alot of hard work at the moment trying to settle the children but during the day I still have to complete the documentation and sometimes that's a nearly impossible task. However, in the morning when I arrive to work I pre-plan when I will be able to complete paperwork and I find that this helps me to get it done. I'm typically able to get some paperwork done outside when we combined with another room and also while children take their rest time. You can get paperworks done during the day if pre plan when you are going to do it. When you do this everyday it becomes part of the routine. In the morning I complete obs and during my break I complete daily diary and program and when the children are having afternoon tea I complete the daily info sheet. Since having this as part of my routine I find it easier to get it done.

however as time goes on and we understand it a bit more I think we will be OK.

That's spot on. The better we understand it the easier it will become. At the beginning it is hard and everyone struggles with the paperworks cuz the amount of paperwork we have to do now is insane! It's ridiculous and it doesn't make sense. So the problem happens when the paperwork take too much time to get each of them done. There is nothing worse than the feeling of being behind in paperwork and it's beginning to pile up. It's just going to keep piling up more everyday and thats when we begin to stress out. So I find that giving it time and practice you will slowly begin to get a grip of it. I just hope that in the future there is less paperwork that will be required and we can spend our time with who are important - the children.

justathought, I'm sorry to hear that you quit your job due to the stress that paperwork load has caused you. It's a shame that this industry took a toll on you. I really hope that we dont continue to lose high quality childcare professionals because of the amount of useless paperworks...

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:15 am

Hi catchmeifyoucan,
I see so you do your ob's in the morning, so too bad if anything meaningfull happens in the afternoon your ob's are done and I see that you compleate your daily diary during your break, that must be a great 10 min unwinding.
So while you are doing the outdoor program you can get paper work done while the staff member of the other room supervises your children and hers, thats a lot of children for one staff member.
Oh and you compleate the daily info sheet at afternoon tea, I thought that is a sheet that needs to be filled out as you go, so if my director walked in and it was lunch time and morning tea had not been filled out she would ask me if the children had morning tea because nothing had been written down, and Im sure if the department walked in they would also think morning tea was not given if the sheet is not filled out.
Its beyond me how you assist children while you are doing paper work, and seriously if a child got sick in the morning and you had to wait an hour before his mum arrived, do you leave the child and do paper work so your routine is not out or do you comfort the child until his mum arrives.
And what is your ratio you say you have 16 toddlers to 2 staff, thats insane.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:21 pm

hi justathought,

I've been wanting to write to you for quite sometime but never really got to it. So here we go:
I see so you do your ob's in the morning, so too bad if anything meaningfull happens in the afternoon your ob's are done

Everything that is planned and unplanned typically happens in the morning before lunch. After lunch we have rest time, afternoon tea then back outside for play until parents arrived. So, for me I worked out that it's best to take obs in the morning when the learning does primarily take place.
I see that you compleate your daily diary during your break, that must be a great 10 min unwinding.

I have 45 minutes for my break and I can complete my daily diary in 15 minutes. So I still have 30 minutes to unwind.
So while you are doing the outdoor program you can get paper work done while the staff member of the other room supervises your children and hers, thats a lot of children for one staff member.

When we are combined with another room while outside it includes 4 staff members including myself. So I do feel that at this point I am able to do some of the paperwork that is needed to be done. I agree its not an ideal situation but you have to make do with what you got.
Oh and you compleate the daily info sheet at afternoon tea, I thought that is a sheet that needs to be filled out as you go,

Don't get me wrong most of the info sheet is completed by afternoon tea. All we have to do now is tick off boxes advising parents of how much the child ate etc…. Unfortunately sometimes in the toddler room you don’t even get a chance to do this so this is why I complete it at afternoon tea. As long as it is available for parents to see by the end of the day and you keep it in your records I don’t find it being a problem of when during the day you decide to fill it out.
Its beyond me how you assist children while you are doing paper work,

I'm actually pretty quick at doing paperwork now after heaps of practice so I don’t spend that much time doing it. I get whats needed to be done as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can spend the time with the children. Also I have a great team who help each other out. If there is an assistant working with you in your room, then make use of it.

Oh well just thought I’d address the points you mentioned. In an ideal centre I wouldn’t even be bothered doing paperwork during the day while I'm with the kids but unfortunately I have to make do with the time I have and this is how I've worked it out. Like I mentioned before, it does take time to get used to it. but if we are negative about it from right at the beginning, then we are not giving ourself a chance to learn and figure out a routine that works best for us. The more we whine, the more harder we are making it for ourself!

Do I say that the amount of paperwork is fine? NO. Do I think that its fair for childcare professionals to get stressed out with these paperworks while we are supposed to look after the children? NO. But what can we do until things change? Its either bite the bullet and get used to it or consider a change in career. No one enjoys doing this much of paperwork every day over and over again. Although its a pain in the ass, I enjoy working with children too much that I dont want to change my career just because of paperwork. Its a shame that paperwork stress has got to you and you had to change your career due to this, but I cant do that..its just me..I love kids too much!

Good Luck with everything!

aeball

Post by aeball » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Rebecca wrote:Hi, Im finding it the same way too, I spend all day gathering obs information and then after work I have to put them into the format. My head office at the moment has just compiled new ob formats (which are 2 pages long, need to have photos and captions) new daily and weekly evaluations (both 2 pages long) as well as 2 new types of documents which are used to record the childrens obs, we have to do all these plus the project books, story journals, scrapbook and all the other old documentation for the NCAC. Im kind of at a loss at the moment, I wouldnt mind using LA's documents as they seem much simpler, but I dont think my HO would be too pleased with me not using their typo.. Anyone have any Ideas how to cut back this work load?
Hi Rebecca,
You need to advocate to your employer that children are missing out by you spending time doing paperwork. You also need to work with others in your centre and as a team discuss ways on how to simplify your paperwork. When things aren't working you need to find ways to fix them. I would lobby this by writing to your HO get other staff to support you. They need to know how this extra paperwork impacts on the children's learning and your stress level. A relaxed environment is vital for children's optimal learning and wellbeing. Also you need to ask families how would they like their child's development recorded. After all who are we doing this paperwork for? :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Just wanted to quickly add to this topic...

Spoke to HO about the paperwork as well as no programming time during the week and all I was told was that I'm a diploma trained room leader and it's my responsibility to get the work done and I should be ale to handle it.

Great support huh?

L.A

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 pm

At least we are not alone!!! We all seem to be in the same boat. I am flicking over to here in between completing work paperwork AARGH!

Countrychildcare

Post by Countrychildcare » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:15 pm

I am finding it impossible too! With the Daily learning story, individual obs ( which we do as learning stories), reflection diary, cleaning and pack up checklists, half hourly child count checklists, scrapbooks to catch up on plus all the standard cleaning tasks. Where do you fit in interactions with the children?

aeball

Post by aeball » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am

As Early Childhood Educator I would like my room team to be able to help me with the paperwork and program as well. Some staff may feel they lack the ability or confidence but with a bit of encouragement they can develop their skills. I have been told by the validators for the new Quality Improvement Framework that there is no minimum or maximum amount of observations that need to be done on each child. Validators don't always need to see the program in writing or as written evidence. They should be able to see the Children Being, Belonging and Becoming. I had 42 children to program for I decided to run my program fortnightly. Week one I would observe 10 children with the help of my assistants doing our learning stories and daily reflections. In the second week we would focus on the extensions that we had suggested. Then a new group would be focused on. I still need to do a checklist to make sure that children are meeting all their outcomes which I keep in the child's folder. I love photo displays of programs. Seeing children engage in activities and linking them back to the EYLF. Parents can then see their child's learning displayed. I also will be emailing photo's to parents with a brief outline of their child's learning. This is one way of communicating with families. I would love to see how others do their programming and how they plan to implement the new National EYLF.

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi L.A.
I used to get told that too, your the qualified that's your job your supposed to be ale to do it, I used to also get told that there isn't a job where you have to take work home....I don't know who they were trying to kid.

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am

Being a split shift worker I can pretty much "only" do my paperwork at home. For the short time we are at work in the morning (2 hours) and then the afternoon shift (3.5 hours) we are purely with the children, which is how its meant to be. To many people in high places thinking its all peaches n cream lol

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

Just thought I ask how everyone going with their paper work?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 pm

I think getting paperwork done is a balance between time, delegation and organisation. As you go on it gets easier as you know when you can find time to get certain documents filled for the day.
I've always had assistants help with things too, they can fill out daily sleep/food charts, do daily reflections etc ... I am not saying they do it all the time but if you are bogged down with something someone else doing some paperwork makes a massive difference.
I have also taught assistants to do obs and learning stories, not so much to help me but I think it is helpful for them to understand how to do observations and further plan for a child for their own knowledge. I always have helped and read over their obs so I don't just leave them to do it unassisted, out of 10 obs I may get them to do 2 or 3.
I have only had to take paperwork home once and that was only because I was leaving and had to get children's checklists and portfolios done before I left.
There is a lot of paperwork though and I can understand why people are getting stressed, but hang in there, it gets easier over time

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 pm

I agree Fefe- it is a bit of a learning curve with the EYLF - but trust your instincts and also learn to trust your assistants with some of the paperwork. I certainly feel I am getting better with EYLF as time goes on - don't expect miracles all at once, we are all learning......
Cathiek