First Ever Learning Story

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
muttley
Participator
Participator

First Ever Learning Story

Post by muttley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi All,
I am new to childcare. I started work at a centre 2 weeks ago and am about to start my Cert 3 course. The director has asked me to put together a learning story for one of the junior kindy kids as this is the room I will be working in. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I am enjoying my time so far and have found that I have bonded with some of the children pretty quickly. I have had a look at the template for the learning stories and it looks fantastic. What sort of things should I include in the learning story? The child that I am looking at doing a learning story for is very quiet and doesn't talk much, if at all. She has just turned 2. I would love to get her into some activites with a group or even on her own so I can take some photos.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:wave:

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: First Ever Learning Story

Post by cathiek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:42 pm

HI muttley
I would suggest following her interests. Watch the child and see what her interests are (she might like making 'food' for her friends in the home corner, or building with the construction toys. I would then provide her with something a bit extra so she can extend her play/learning. For instance if it is home corner stuff, set up a table as a cafe, or provide dressups related to a restaurant. If it is construction, provide some toy animals so she can build a zoo/farm etc. The centre should have all this sort of stuff. Then take your photos and document what she does and try and show beginning of play, part way through and near the end. You can then put in an analysis of what she is doing and discuss ways to extend her learning. That could be providing books or further props on restaurants/zoos etc or even leading into other areas. Use the EYLF outcomes to help you with this.
I hope this helps.
Cathiek

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm

The child that I am looking at doing a learning story for is very quiet and doesn't talk much, if at all. She has just turned 2.

Whether or not the child talks shouldn't be an issue. Just watch her during an experience and be her "voice". Write down what she does during the learning experience. Even if you can't focus on her interest then just come up with a spontaneous experience... Play dough, bubbles, washing dolls, playing with shaving cream, finger painting these are just some of the experiences you could write about if this child gets involved... A learning story is detailed, so even if this child doesn't "say" anything verbally, add noises she makes, body language, how she reacts, this all can be included in your learning story.

Make sure you have a copy of the Educators guide. One you figure out which learning outcomes you want to use with the learning story, find them in the educators guide and use the wording they have in that document itself. It will hep support your learning experience. Don't worry, with plenty of practice, you'll be writing learning stories in no time!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

muttley
Participator
Participator

Post by muttley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I have now written three learning stories! I haven't written one on the two year old in my original post as she has not been at the centre. I wrote my first one on a girl who is about to leave the centre to go to school. I sent it to my director and she showed it to the girls mum and they both thought it was fantastic. I have since written one for another girl who is autistic and has only just started therapy sessions. I will be giving a copy of this story to the mum.
Thanks for all your help.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Congratulation Muttley,

Do you think it gets easier each time you do it?

What advice would you give others in your situation?

muttley
Participator
Participator

Post by muttley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 pm

I think that it does get easier each time I write one. I just need to think of the child I am writing about and the fun that they had doing the activity.

The advice I would give others is to relax, get to know the children and join in the activity that you will be writing about. I also have a copy of the 5 learning outcomes next to me as I am writing them. Take lots of photos as it can help jog your memory and it is great for the parents as well to see photo evidence of what their child did as well as a narrative. Also, I found the advice on this website fantastic as well.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for that Muttley.

Appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.
It is good for others to know that the process can be fun and enjoyable!!

Look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Cheers
Lindy