EYLF AND OSHC

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kristyl74
Participator
Participator

EYLF AND OSHC

Post by kristyl74 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Just wondering if anybody in the forum works for an oshc centre?? If so was hoping to share ideas or just converse on how you are going with implementing the eylf into your service.. I find alot of the focus is LDC based when it comes to inservices and I find forums such as these and some facebook groups rather helpful more so than im getting from my centre :giggle:

Lorina

Re: EYLF AND OSHC

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Kristy,

I agree... I also find that a lot of EYLF in-services does focus on LDC and how they can implement it at their centre. I am currently looking at changing that and having some different forms of EYLF documentations that can be used for OOSH services as well. I think the reason that is only focused on LDC because the Belong, Being & Becoming (for LDC) is almost the same for what you are using at an OOSH centre "My Time, Our Place". The only difference that I have found so far that in Learning Outcome 5 -Children are Effective Communicators (for My Time, Our Place) there is one less sub learning outcome but I think the rest of it is the same. So, I'm trying to come up with a template which justifies what you are doing on a daily basis at you OOSH centre.

I did use to work at an OOSh centre (long time ago) and I remember that we had a program broken up into different areas. For e.g. outdoor games, indoor games, quiet games, art n craft, quiet area etc. I don't remember doing any observations however we did include alot of spontaneous and child input onto the program. I also remember getting evaluations from the kids to find out what they did or didn't enjoy doing.

I think with the format I'm looking at doing is like a timetable where you can add in experiences or activities that emerge and then somehow link this to the EYLF using a checkbox or something. I'm not too sure which way I want to go yet... Like I said before if you have any ideas please do share.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

oziwi

Post by oziwi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 am

Hi Kristy & L.A
At our OSHC we have different areas such as:
Inside areas, which we are fortunate to have a hall, the school library and a multi-purpose room
Outside area, the oval, 2 playgrounds, sandpit and 2 undercover areas
For the inside areas the hall is used for arts & craft, drama corner (dress ups, home corner, etc...), block construction etc... in different areas of the room. There are normally at least 5-10 activities going in the room
The library, homework, computers, board games etc..
Multi purpose room, music & drama, console games etc...
Outside area speaks for itself.
You are correct LA there is only one difference in the outcomes.
An online tool for OSHC would maybe benefit with more area boxes rather than developmental boxes as Im sure this could be incorporated into the evaluation of experiences. Just a thought :think:

mexibean23

Post by mexibean23 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been reading through some of the posts on the forum and I am glad i am not the only one struggling to come up with a programming style. I run both a OSHC and a vac care program. I have come up with a few templates but really not sure what to include. I know its been awhile since any of you posted but have any of you found a template or at least headings I can use to create my own.
Thanks

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:03 pm

HI Mexibean - the wonderful LA has created the online tools and will be adapting them to suit an oshc / vac care environment aswell in the future.. :-))

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've slowly started working towards creating documentations for OSHC centres. I've asked a few questions in the "Online Tools" topic about the OSCH program and would really appreciate any feedback.

Please leave your thoughts & suggestions here: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 4353#p4353

L.A

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:02 am

I am only new to the whole asc/vc thing :/ I think I am mad but the director asked me if I'd like to take it on, So I think I'll be watching this area A LOT for idea's on anything. I have just the basic weekly program sheet: arts/crafts, inside,child initiated & reflection.... umm this is going to be interesting just trying to program :/ lol So guys any idea's on things to do please throw them my way or help me link to another thread :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Since a few of you have asked and waiting for OOSH curriculum plan templates, recently I had requested for those of you working in an OOSH setting to provide me with a few answers to the questions, (posted here: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 4394#p4353) so I can understand your needs and design a template for you. I had asked this in my post a few days ago and so far I have only received one reply. I am very disappointed to see that although some of you have requested and waiting for these templates to be released, no one is willing to support or share ideas. Please understand that I don’t work in an OOSH setting and I was thinking of creating these documentations only due to requests but if I'm not going to receive support from you in return then I don’t see a point in me doing it. Creating documentation for online tools does take a lot of time and effort and I was hoping to get more thoughts and ideas from those of you working in OOSH. If you don't want to answer on the forum and if you want to keep your ideas confidential, then feel free to pm me instead (PM will be available for user who have made 3 posts or more)… I am just hoping for more support from you than what I have received thus far so I can try and make this available when releasing the next version of these Online Tools.

L.A

kristyl74
Participator
Participator

Post by kristyl74 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Please fellow oosh workers, I didnt feel confident with what I was doing so I private messaged LA, the more help and support we give her the more support and help we receive in return :D

Sorry LA. :-( I will scan or email a few more docs but as discussed we dont have a "template" to be honest that encompasses the new eylf. its more of a webbing type of program with outcomes - oosh should be so much more simpler than a LDC when it comes to completing a program but when it comes to trying to create a template, thats when I get lost..

I personally thankyou for everything you do :-))

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I uploaded the Curriculum Plan screenshots for OOSH centres yesterday. Click on the link if you haven't checked it out already...

Link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/c ... html#p4897

L.A

a.paskin

Post by a.paskin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 am

Hi

My name is Amanda and I am a co-ordinator for an OOSH service in queesland and I need some help or ideas in realation to programing for our service. We have tried several things and I am not sure they are correct. I would love to know if other services are planning their program around EYLF weekly or daily. I found with our service the children responded better with a weekly program and can this be incorporated with your new OOSH template. If anyone could give me somesuggestions I would be greatly appreciated. Cheers A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Amanda,

To start incorprating my time out place into your setting you have to begin by gathering input for children about what they enjoy doing in the afternoons, what activities or games they want to play etc. Have general discussions and brain storn ideas. From here you can add these activities and experiences on to your curriclum plan by using child input. Also be on the look out of emerging interests and come up with experiences around that particular interest which can also be added into the program. The learning outcomes need to be identified for each experiences (the goal that is achieved through the experience on the curriculum plan).

You also have to begin documenting children's learning through using learning stories, posters, child feedback, suggestions etc. Since you are working in OOSH its much easier to get the children involved in writing learning stories, making posters of events etc. During an experience take photos of an experience with the children - write about what they are doing, get the children to tell you what they thought, etc..

It's a great oppotunity to get the children involved in actually describing what they are doing and what they learnt...

I think its a lot easier to implement the framework in an OOSH setting once you get hold of the curriculum plan and documenting the children's experiences, this will provide you with a great foundation of learning!

Hope this gives you an idea on where to start,

L.A