Does Casual work count as experience

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nidhigagnesh

Does Casual work count as experience

Post by nidhigagnesh » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am

Hi,
I am a permanent part time employee at a LDC. Recently because of my medical conditions I had to take a month's unpaid leave.
So, my employer asked me to resign and is now offering me a casual position with fixed hours every week.

My long term goal is to be a trainer/assessor. I have completed my Cert IV in Training and Assessment. One should have a minimum experience of 3 years to get this role. I currently have 1 yr 10 months experience working in the industry.

My question is if I take the casual position offered by my current employer will it count as a working experience?
So, basically does working as a casual count as a working experience?

Kindest Regards,
NGS

melbrecruit

Re: Does Casual work count as experience

Post by melbrecruit » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:38 pm

nidhigagnesh wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am
Hi,
I am a permanent part time employee at a LDC. Recently because of my medical conditions I had to take a month's unpaid leave.
So, my employer asked me to resign and is now offering me a casual position with fixed hours every week.

My long term goal is to be a trainer/assessor. I have completed my Cert IV in Training and Assessment. One should have a minimum experience of 3 years to get this role. I currently have 1 yr 10 months experience working in the industry.

My question is if I take the casual position offered by my current employer will it count as a working experience?
So, basically does working as a casual count as a working experience?

Kindest Regards,
NGS
Hello Nidhigagnesh,

Thank you for submitting this information about your current work environment. I am a Recruitment Manager for a Recruitment Agency that comes across these type of questions all the time and the information I will be provided will be the information I am able to provide will be information I know in relation to employment.

You have stated that you have your Cert IV in Training & Assessment and you have completed 1 Year & 10 Months experience under your Certificate IV in Training & Assessment. As you will be moving employment basis with your current employer this should not affect your hours included towards your requirements.

Because your employer has provided you with an casual employment, that should not affect your hours counting towards your work experience. You will need to ensure through, that if you do move over to a casual engagement with your employer is to get an updated employment contract that stats this so you have the information formal upon your Employment Contract.

By having the experience you have already, as a Recruitment Manager, your application would not be left behind as we already can see that you have done the work and can provide the evidence within this as well.

I do wish you all the best in your employment journey & happy to provide any advice or support needed if need be.

Lorina

Re: Does Casual work count as experience

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:32 am

Hi,

It does count towards experience but you cannot learn everything you can while doing casual work for example you will need to be familiar with program and planning, observing children, writing observations and learning stories etc. as a casual you will rarely get the opportunity to do this.

Since you have already worked at your current service, I would recommend that you gain some experience in programming and documentation. This will really help you to practice etc.

Get well soon and let me know if you have any further questions.

:geek:,
Lorina