Unprofessional Supervisors (yes another bad experience)

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Iris2
Participator
Participator

Unprofessional Supervisors (yes another bad experience)

Post by Iris2 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Okay so a lot has happened since my previous post. I was offered a permanent position at a centre very close to my home. According to the CM of this centre my manager 'spoke very highly of me'. I was pretty excited but a little worried about being stuck in one place if bullying was happening because that's what happened to me at my previous permanent position. Anyway, my experience has been mostly positive. I found most of the staff members respectful and welcoming, along with the CM. But straight away I got a bad feeling about one of the ECTs. The way she greeted me was a little unwelcoming, and on my first shift, I was working with her but straight away saw some unprofessional things. Specifically, on my first shift, about two hours in, a boy cut his finger on a broken glass picture frame (YES I KNOW!). His mother was arriving at the time and he went straight to her. The ECT (only other person working) was busy so I was assisting the parent and child. I gave some tissues and offered a bandaid but didn't know where the first aid kit was. I asked the ECT, her actual answer was "I don't know." (WHATT??!!) Then I was frantically running around searching for it, at that time the boy showed us the picture frame which caused the accident and I immediately secured it in an area unaccessible to children. Then after about 5 mins the ECT gets up and goes to the first aid kit (which is not exactly visible) and gets the bandaid (WHYY??!!). Anyway, Other things were popping up. I didn't like how she interacted with the children. I heard her mention she deprived a child of lunch as a punishment for misbehaviour. I also heard her yelling at a child, rushing them to go faster with toiletting and the child was crying. I also heard her saying unprofessional things about other staff in a way to make them look bad, and felt she is doing the same to me. I don't like working with her at all and I don't trust her, since she goes against a lot of regulations. But I'm working with her directly pretty much every day.

Anyway, the other thing happened, I was asked to do the closing jobs quite early because numbers were low and we were very overstaffed. I'm still slightly confused with the closing jobs since I've worked there less than a week and worked with 3-4 different people who did it differently and gave me different instructions. I was doing jobs to the best of my knowledge. I saw a room was messy and offered to tidy it. The lead educator agreed and I started tidying it. The assistant director called me out and seemed quite unhappy I was doing that. She told me only accept jobs from one person (the ECT). She went on for a while and I felt a bit overwhelmed since I keep getting mixed messages. It was okay if that's what she wanted but I thought she overreacted considering I have worked here less than a week and only worked within the field for less than two months.. I felt she was trying to make me feel bad and uncomfortable on purpose.

I no longer trust these two people or feel comfortable working with them. It's a shame because I just got a permanent job here. I'm still new and studying so jobs don't exactly grow on trees for me. I don't know what to do... Need support/advice. Thank you!

Lorina

Re: Unprofessional Supervisors (yes another bad experience)

Post by Lorina » Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Things like this happen... when you're new it takes some time for other Educators to warm up to you. For some, they want to intimidate you and make sure you know your place in the service! It's bloody ridiculous... Don't take anything personally! I know it takes a time to not get emotionally involved in the workplace but I really suggest you work on it. The ECT could be having a bad day, things happening at home and more. You don't know her side and yes, you shouldn't be given the end of her bad attitude but sometimes that's how it is. Let it slide. Don't get caught up in it... Don't let these things affect you. No matter how rude they are being.. always keep a smile on your face and don't show any reaction...

Try and settle into the position over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes...

:geek:,
Lorina

Iris2
Participator
Participator

Post by Iris2 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Sorry Lorina, but I believe that being professional is a requirement no matter if an educator is new or not. That is a workplace health and safety requirement
and is a major policy of our company. We work for one of the largest child care companies, which is supposed to take its policies seriously and we are supposed to have a high standard of professionalism, which even as a new employee, I strive to maintain. Anyway, she is not having a bad day. I have worked here for two weeks and things are the same, if not worse. And other educators have mentioned complaints about similar things. I agree not to take things personally but it just frustrates me so much. When 90% of people treat me appropriately and maintain a professional appearance, why should one get away with it? Everyone has things happening at home but most people don't take it out on others at work. Sorry but we need to eliminate this tolerance for unprofessional interactions in the workplace and lacking in team work. It affects people's motivation at work and reduces the quality of care and education for children within the service. That's completely unacceptable.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 am

Yes, I completely agree with you... everyone should be professional - the reality of it, is some Educators are not... Whether it's written in the policy, regardless of the centre, some Educators are just plain rude... that's how they are (their personality).

They don't realise that their tone that they use, how they say things or them being snappy effects others. That's why I simply suggest to ignore it... however since it is affecting you then confront the ECT and let her know her behaviour is affecting you or you should report it.

Have others who have experienced the same reported it before?

For issues that are happening with the children, keep a record including the date, what happened, what was said etc what you observed and let the Director know what is going on... no child should be harmed, deprived of anything, yelled etc. So, if you see anything like this address it straight away.

:geek:,
Lorina