Should I be told to do this at work?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Audreyferg98

Should I be told to do this at work?

Post by Audreyferg98 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:45 pm

I work for a small branch OSHC. there are only four staff members including me. I am an 18 year old assistant. i have been working there for about 4 months. Occasionally I am being asked by my coworker (who is alot older, and the responsible person, not the co-ordinator) to drive my car into town to get supplies for the children. these supplies are not anything serious that is absolutely needed, they are things like toys, milk, etc that the co-ordinator neglects to collect herself. At first I didn't mind, but then I told my parents and they are angry and say I should not be using my petrol to collect things for them, that it is unfair and not part of my job. The co-ordinator also calls me last minute every now and then to collect the groceries she didnt remember to get. this means i have to run my car in to town, (a 30 minute drive) and then another 30 minutes back to deliver them. She promises to pay me but hasn't in the past, and then I worked out that she was only paying me 9 dollars to do that. The fuel money costs more! So is anyone else asked to do this, and is it allowed?

Lorina

Re: Should I be told to do this at work?

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 pm

No, you shouldn't be made to use your car to collect things! That's really unfair that your given the responsibility to do this and you have to drive 30 minutes into town and back to just get something that the co-coordinator forgot! When it's not your responsibility!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Should I be told to do this at work?

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 pm

You could actually ask for a car allowance since you are using your car. If you don't mind driving here and there getting odds and ends you might as well get paid for using your personal car! In the Children's Services Award, a vehicle allowance is $0.78 per km. I think you have a right to ask for what it states in the Award!

:geek:,
Lorina