Rant: Rumour-has-it

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JesstheHufflepuff

Rant: Rumour-has-it

Post by JesstheHufflepuff » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 pm

I attended work experience two years ago for my high school. This incident was weird and unfair to both the child and their parents.

I was on my lunch break when the director of the childcare centre informed the room leader about this 3-year-old who is HIV-positive. So this room leader had this idea in her head that she was allowed to gossip about it to the other parents, talking about whatnots and whatsits etc. I heard a few bad things and anyway, I'll get to the point.
1. It is not like the child is going to spread it among the other children.
2. The director was really implying to inform the parents whenever a bug was going around so their child can stay at home instead of getting extremely ill.

I told the room leader off, saying to her she really needs to get her facts straight before going to extreme measures. The child nor their parents doesn't deserve this unwanted attention.

I informed the director and she didn't do much about it.

Lorina

Re: Rant: Rumour-has-it

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:02 pm

So the Director spoke to the room leader who was also in the staff room with you and you overheard the discussion... The educator and Director breached privacy and confidentiality regulations and could actually be sued by the family of the child who is HIV positive... Unfortunately at some centres educators gossip all the time and nothing really stays between themselves... It's best just to be quiet and just do your job rather than get involved with it... Good on you for sticking up for the family by the way!!!

:geek:,
Lorina

JesstheHufflepuff

Post by JesstheHufflepuff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks. I also forgot to mention, that they use a TV for a babysitter. In all three rooms. How are the children going to interact with reality if they are sat in front of the idle box for nearly all day?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 am

Yeah this centre has alarms bells ringing... I'm not sure how it's possible for the kids to watch tv all day as the centre has to implement the eylf and follow the requirements of the NQF...

:geek:,
Lorina

JesstheHufflepuff

Post by JesstheHufflepuff » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 pm

I agree with you Lorina, thanks for helping me with the rant. I feel much better now it's out of my system.