Looks like carer is being rough with children

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Looks like carer is being rough with children

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi i have just started as a student at a centre and i have noticed one of the workers being really rough with the children when she is disciplining them. Is it normal to pick up a child and plonk them down extremely hard on the ground when removing them from a situation and yelling at them? I also noticed she sat with two legs on top of one of them who kept crying at sleep time and instead of patting her gently she was patting her quite hard.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Looks like carer is being rough with children

Post by LindyT » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Are you able to discuss this with your authorised supervisor?
It is certainly not OK for an Educator to 'man-handle' a child and you have the responsibility of bringing this to the attention of whomever is in charge of you whether you are a student or not. The sooner the better.

Barbie
Participator
Participator

Post by Barbie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 pm

I dont have an authorised supervisor because i go from room to room.
The carer is not doing it behind closed doors or when noone is looking. This happened in the playground and inside in full view of the room leader so i dont get why they dont pull her up on it.
I just hate in childcare when i see them being rough like this even the way they sometimes pull a child up by the arm to discipline them is too rough in my opinion as they are only so little.
Maybe my discipline wont work but the way i would do it is getting down to their level and having a stern word maybe pointing and lifting up to remove them from a situation but certainly not plonking them down hard or dragging by limbs. How do others discipline?

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Barbie maybe you could speak to your GL in the room when you saw it happen?? Did you document it??

Redirecting the behaviour is always my 1st line of attack.
A firm word in a gentle tone is usually as far as I have to get. (I'm 6ft tall so the chn don't mess with me lol)
Removal is my last line of attack. Be aware that in some services removal from an area of a child is not supported as it supposed to make the child feel excluded.

Never ever ever should a child be moved roughly or with force. This in my eyes is child abuse.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Maybe a round about way of bringing it up would be to ask the DIrector or a GL the centres policy on discipline and see what they say and then just say "I thought I would check as I have seen .... "
Being that rough with the children is unacceptable and sitting with your legs over a crying child on their bed is terrible ... I have never in my life seen anyone do such a thing.
If others notice it and do nothing they are as much to blame as the person doing the deed.... as teachers we need to do the right thing and have the patience and know-how to deal with situations without our own frustration/anger showing...if people dealing with children cannot do this they need to find a new vocation!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Just a quick note - I have moved this topic from General Discussion to Supporting Childcare Workers at Work forum.

Barbie
Participator
Participator

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks fefe very good idea i will subtley suss out what their policy is.
Unfortunately my class teacher only likes to hear positive things about placement (not at the best centre as you might figure so have already had to bring back a few negative things to the class discussion) It makes it hard but once i've finished the placement i will definately have an in depth discussion with the placement teacher about what i saw. Thankfully the child is not returning to this centre next year but obviously I dont want them treating the others this way.