Asked to work when sick

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
oshceducator2021

Asked to work when sick

Post by oshceducator2021 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:41 pm

hi,

Is it acceptable for an OSHC service to tell you you need to work when sick due to the service being short of staff and therefore your absence will result in the service running under ratio.

Personally I think this is terrible, myself and another educator have been basically told we need to come into work even when a medical certificate was provided. Also it is not our problem that the service is short staffed.

It makes for an awkward situation when you say no to working and then attend work the next day etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Lorina

Re: Asked to work when sick

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:10 pm

This against ethics as well as health and safety of the children, staff and families of the service.

You should not be going to work if you are sick. It will spread quickly through out the centre causing cross infection and you will take longer time to recover!

Exactly right not your problem if your service is understaffed. There should be backup plans put in place if a situation like this occurs...

It's bloody terrible if you ask me especially with COVID around, staying home should be a priority for anyone that is sick.

:geek:,
Lorina