Absent Room Leader

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aljc

Absent Room Leader

Post by aljc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi I work in the pre kindy room at a child care centre in SA. The room leader is also assistant director. She is hardly ever in the room and when she is it is not for long. Never a whole day. The room is falling apart but as room leader she seems to take no responsibility. I have approached the director but they are friends and I feel she just makes excuses but gives no answers. What can I do? How is this even allowed??

Lorina

Re: Absent Room Leader

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:02 pm

One of the biggest mistakes is when a director is friends with employees and they can't be a director to that friend. It shifts the entire working relationship... It seems like you really need her in the room and she is not there so the responsibility falls on you. It's extremely hard to deal... How many children in the room? You should not be left due to safety and ratio requirements and you may have to bring it to the director's attention once again...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:03 pm

You could also maybe discuss your concerns with the room leader as well and explain the problems you're facing...

Lorina

SJayDee

Post by SJayDee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 pm

I have been in a similar situation and even after speaking with her she continued to do it, I started calling her back to the room after a few minutes hoping she would get the hint that she was needed. Eventually I started documenting when she would leave the room and how long for, I eventually took this information to the centre owner who then spoke to the assistant director. She was always then quite blunt with me afterwards but at the end of the day it's the safety of the children that matters the most.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

I think a lot of educators who are facing issues would rather put up with it then to have a confrontation... especially in situations where directors etc. are personal friends with the educator causing concern... omg it's so high school and it frustrates me to no end... another thing is the ramifications once you confront the educator. How is the educator going to act towards you... it's hard to deal with all these things and is extremely stressful that's why for some educators it's easier to deal with it silently...argh the other side of childcare... :evil:

Lorina