Working and Studying

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Keely Hope

Working and Studying

Post by Keely Hope » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi,
I am currently working at a childcare centre whist completeing my Diploma.
My centre would like me to do my bachelors as i have previously done 2 years of it before dropping out to do my diploma instead.
I am wondering if i am still able to work at the centre if i return to my bachelor, as i will not have a cert 3 or diploma qualification, i would only be working towards my bachelor.
Also if i am able to work while studying to be an ECT teacher, what the wage would be?

Lorina

Re: Working and Studying

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:15 pm

You can be counted as an ECT provided you meet the following requirements:

"Taken to be an early childhood teacher

In June 2019, the Education Council agreed to extend regulation 242 of the National Regulations. Under regulation 242, you are ‘taken to be an early childhood teacher’ if you:

are enrolled in an approved early childhood teaching qualification, and
give the approved provider documentary evidence from the course provider that you:
have started the course, and
are making satisfactory progress towards completing the course, and
are meeting the requirements for maintaining the enrolment, and
hold an approved diploma level educator qualification, or have completed at least 50 per cent of the course."

For more information: Actively Working Towards A Qualification

If you finish your Diploma you will be able to get some units off your degree since you had already completed the Diploma qualification. I suggest you complete your Diploma then move onto your degree. You won't be considered an ECT unless you have your Diploma or finished 50% of the degree.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

deibyradjawane

Post by deibyradjawane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi Lorina
Im a diploma in Pre school room and working full time. Im thinking of getting another qualification and taking an online course.
Just need an enlightenment, what study should I take so I can improve my income. Is it ECT or Bach of Teaching or?
Thanks in advance.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:47 pm

You could do a teaching degree. You can choose either 0-5 years or some uni's offer 0-12 years which also enables you to work as a primary teacher in a school.

When you complete your degree you're able to become an ECT of the service or a Director (however you can still be a Director with a Diploma).

Only if you are the ECT of the service your pay will increase. If you have a degree and still the room leader you're not entitled to ECT pay....

So just have a think about what you want...

If you want to increase your pay try becoming 2IC/Director...

:geek:,
Lorina

Daniel-J

Post by Daniel-J » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:10 pm

It all depends on how you're going to progress in one job or another. In any case, additional training will not be superfluous.