What's, How's, Can's, do's? : Questions from Newbie

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Giitara
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What's, How's, Can's, do's? : Questions from Newbie

Post by Giitara » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:25 pm

(Aiming for a job in Acorn childcare, Bundaberg. Am 17 & I'm studying cert 3 right now. Never had a job before either)

What do you put in the Skills part of your resume?

How do you know what job you're going for in a daycare centre?

Can you open your own childcare at home right after studying cert 3?

Do the daycare teach you first aid, CPR, ect?

Do you need a diploma to work in childcare?

How much math is needed? What if you're bad at it?

How do you ask for a job & do you ask online, phone call or in person?

How do you make a Cover Letter for a job in childcare? Any tips? (Never seen one berfore)

Do you have to know which kid goes to which parent & do you need to know the parents names?

Do you work with all the kids in the centre? How would you learn all their names?

Do you sing in childcare? What if your can't sing? Or if a song like black sheep has become rainbow sheep, would you get in trouble for singing the wrong words?

Lorina

Re: What's, How's, Can's, do's? : Questions from Newbie

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 am

Hi There!

Welcome to the Industry! :wave:

I started working at a centre when I was 17 myself, so I understand all the questions!

1) Key Selection Criteria
2) While looking for a job, in the advertisement they will mention the position. Since you are going to be a cert 3 qualified, you will be looking for an "assistant educator" position.
3) Yes, you can open an FDC within your home however you will need to be 18 years +.
4) You need to get your First Aid and CPR certificate from a course you need to arrange yourself. For e.g. St Johns.
5) No, you don't need a Diploma unless you would like to work as a team leader/director in the future.
6) As long as you can count...LOL... You don't need to do anything "hard". They are only small kids!
7) Yes, you can do all of those.
8) Writing A Resume
9) Yes, you need to know the names of the parents and the children. Once you get settled in a centre you will begin to learn them. Don't worry!
10) You will work with the children in your room and you will learn their names quicker than you expect.
11) Yes, you sing with the children. Don't worry and have fun with it! There are plenty of songs to learn!

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Giitara
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Giitara » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you so much

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 am