Wanting to begin career, confused!

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
00kitkat00

Wanting to begin career, confused!

Post by 00kitkat00 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm really wanting to get my career going in the childcare industry but am getting quite confused about how to get the ball rolling.

Do I need to be studying a cert 3 already before applying for jobs? If so, do I do this through a tafe or online provider?
I rang a tafe a few weeks ago and they told me I needed to have a job before studying but all jobs I apply for need a cert 3 or above.

What is a traineeship? Is this a better option than tafe?

Apologies for my many questions, I'm just really confused!

Lorina

Re: Wanting to begin career, confused!

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Yes, when working in childcare you need to be studying towards a qualification, a minimum cert 3. Once you have enrolled you can begin looking for work. In regards to qualifications, you can either enrol in a Cert 3 or a Diploma. A Diploma has the Cert 3 units within it, so if you would like you can complete the Diploma qualification without having to complete Cert 3 first. The Diploma qualification enables you to work as a room leader within the room while the Cert 3 enables you to work as the assistant educator so it depends on what you would like to do. You may study through TAFE or online it doesn't matter really as long as the course provider is a registered RTO.

In regards to a traineeship this means that the centre you work with will pay for your course while you work thee during the duration of your studies. You will have to pay the registration fee but the course fees will be for the centre to pay. During a traineeship you work and study at the centre. So it's up to you what you would like to do.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Wanting to begin career, confused!

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 pm

Here is some more information on traineeships:

Starting A Traineeship In Childcare
Traineeship Wages and Conditions

:geek:,
Lorina