Travel for work- how much is too much?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

Travel for work- how much is too much?

Post by law92 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm thinking of applying for a job at this amazing child care centre. They're looking for group leaders which is what I want to do. However, this centre is about an hour away from where I live. It's been hard trying to get jobs in my town as they are all for assistant jobs and there are generally a high number of applicants for those jobs so its really competitive. So I thought maybe get something out of town where employment prospects may be higher. I'm also keen to start working full time, and my partner really wants me to get a job so we can buy a house and get married. I have gone to heaps of centres in my town and there just doesn't seem to be any work around, and I have been trying since January this year.

Is an hour too far to travel to work? It will be an hour there & an hour back home, 4 days a week. They do a 4 day 38 hour week and pay above award wages. It also says that they have a lot of funding for resources and they have a little petting zoo which sounds amazing. Should I go for it? Or try to keep finding jobs in my town? Help

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Travel for work- how much is too much?

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:45 am

It is up to you. Personally I would not want to travel 2 hours everyday, however when I was living in a small town in central QLD I did that amount of travel 5 days a week as to get a job that is just what I had to do.
Maybe do some volunteer work there for a week just to see how you would feel driving an hour working a full shift and driving home again 4 days of the week.
I limit myself to where I work as I like being close to home and have been lucky enough to have found 3 jobs all less than 10 min drive from home!
It is something you really need to decide for yourself.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi Lucy
Well I personally think it is worth traveling for work if its the right centre.here in Sydney it's very common to travel/ commute long distances. I worked in the suburbs close to my home but found the socio- economic problems equalled major issues at work. I am now working in the CBD in Sydney- I commute 45 mins each way 5 days a week- and am happy to do so as the preschool I'm now working at is a much better fit for me and for my pedagogy. Do what feels right for you !

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Hopefully my input isn't too late... Did you go for the job?

The centre does sound pretty good so if I was you I’d go for it!

When I first started out and was doing my traineeship I spent a total of four hours of travelling to and fro from work. I had no trains where I lived so I had to catch 3 different buses to get to work.

I don’t drive so I’m use to the travelling which I don’t mind so much...Plus I had to go through the city which I love! I did this for a year until I finished my traineeship. The next job I found was right down the street which took me 5 minutes to get to by walking...

I really hope you followed your instincts and gave this centre a go!

Sounds Awesome... A petting zoo!! How cool is that!

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 am

When I first started out and was doing my traineeship I spent a total of four hours of travelling to and fro from work. I had no trains where I lived so I had to catch 3 different buses to get to work.
:shock:
wow I feel so lucky I have always worked in good centres and never far from home... cannot think of anything worse than that much travel to and from work! :lol: sometimes 7 mins to work and back is too much

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 am

@FeFe

If you are use to traveling by transport like I am, 2 hours is not that bad... If I was driving it would probably take an hour. It actually did take only an hour of travel time for the first couple of months and then I moved out of home, which ended up into 2 hours...lol...

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:51 am

feel like such a snob, have never caught a bus here in Australia and been on a train 2 times haha

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 am

Hi

I've just been agonising over what to do. My parents don't want me to go for the job as they think it would be too much travel, but I still think it would be a good opportunity. The only thing I am worried about is not having time to study for my diploma, as the job is a 4 day 38 hour week, travelling 1 hour each way. But the job is still advertised, so I will definitely apply for it now!

Dulciean- I found in my last job I had that exact same problem! I was working in a low socio economic suburb close to home, and just found the job too hard, which made issues for me at work in the end. I do really want to work at a nice kindy.
Do you find that you got used to travelling the long distance every day?

The town I live in is in a low socio economic area, so I think most of the centres will have the same problem. Maybe it would be worth it to travel the extra distance for work to get full time work at a decent centre. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:39 pm

In Syndey 1 hour away isint too far. A lot of people travel for more an hour just to get to work. It may not be just due to the distance, a lot has to do with the terrible traffic here. And its harder when you are catching a bus. So it really comes down to you. If you are not used to 1 hour travel, then you will find it very hard and exhausting. And when you are doing 4 days 38 hours shift, I guess you will be starting early everyday which means you need to leave home even earlier. If you are able to split the 4 days to 2 days-day off-2 days, then it might help you to ease into it with a rest in the middle of the week. If you think you can do it, then why not give it a try. You never know, it might be worth it if the centre is good for you. Have you been to the centre yet? If not, traveling there once will give you a better idea to decide if you can do that everyday.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Lucy- yes I am quite used to the daily travel. Lucky for me I get a seat on the particular train I catch- Sydney is getting quite over populated and commuter trains are notorious. I actually enjoy the travel- forms a transition between my professional life and my work at home as a mum and wife! ;-)