Thinking of establishing a FDC - nerves... normal?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macy

Thinking of establishing a FDC - nerves... normal?

Post by Macy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Hello, I was a registered childminder in the UK over 10 years ago, when we moved over to Australia and when the children were old enough I went into office work, however 12 years later and due to redundancy I am thinking of a change of career and converting an area under our house to set up a family day care area. I was so keen to do it and very excited but since the FDC ladies visited yesterday I am now having second thoughts. I suppose the first thing is the statement that they are "not very busy at the moment" and there are lots of FDC ladies with vacancies...but it's like that this time of year.....

I know that I could run a great FDC, I know that the children in my care would have a wonderful time, I am not worried about having to do the Cert 3 or getting the first aid cert etc...and all the other requirements ( the list is endless isn't it!) I just worry that I could spend lots of money converting our house and ending up with no children, no income and a big space doing nothing...

Anyone else had those concerns, experience in FDC in North Brisbane? Are nerves normal or is it just me ???

Lorina

Re: Thinking of establishing a FDC - nerves... normal?

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

I think being nervous is completely normal! You're venturing out into new territory and running an FDC is a big change to office work. It's practically like starting your own small business... Like any small business it may be slow at the beginning but in time it will hopefully grow and be successful. If running an FDC is something you're really interested in that I'd say go for it. If you have something better to offer families then you may be surprised in the responses you receive. I'd don't think that FDC are "not very busy" I just think parents prefer to put children in long day care because they feel they have more opportunity to learn and develop (ridiculous assumption). However, if you develop a high quality service with great opportunity for learning then I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Even at the start you only get a couple of enrolments that's all you really need for parents to spread the word amongst other mothers...

How exciting!

:geek:,
L.A

Macy

Post by Macy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, work starts tomorrow on converting our area to a FDC area... so fingers crossed for the future :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:05 pm

No problem!

That's really exciting! It will be so great to include all your own ideas into your own little setting. I guess that the big advantage of running an FDC. You can create the setting, design and layout as you wish!

Good luck!

:geek:,
L.A