Starting out! Which age group?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Starting out! Which age group?

Post by Macoola » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello everyone

I just wanted to ask what age groups is probably best if you have never worked in child care before? Most Centres I am looking at have 0-2 room, 2-3 room and then the 3-4+ room. From my workplacement for my cert 3 I loved the babies room and the preschool room. I found the toddler room very hectic at the particular centre I did my placement but am open to any suggesions. I understand there is no one good room, and another bad room. I am just wondering what others started out in and what they found best?

Macoola xx

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Starting out! Which age group?

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 am

Macoola - like you said there is no one good room and another bad room.

It is a personal choice really where you think YOU will be able to cope and be happy.
You seem to realise the toddler rooms are hectic so maybe a pre Kindy room is the best place to start. They can walk and talk and express themselves and they have ideas and you can interact with them more and get more back from this age group.

I would suggest starting in the 3-4+ room and seeing how you like it.

I know from experiences that I am happy doing anything from 2-4+ but my ideal is about 2.5 - 3.5 or 4.

I am NOT a babies room person, I find it really boring its just not my thing but you seemed to love it. Since you enjoyed both preschool & babies you need to decide where you would be happy LONG TERM.

Sometimes its different on work placement as its only a few weeks when weeks becomes months sometimes you may change how u feel about rooms!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Macoola,

Like Fefe mentioned its up to your personal preference in what room you would like to start out in. When I began I started off in the babies room... It was a great hands on experience which allowed me to learn alot because when working in the babies room it is extremely busy (depending on how many babies there are).

When I began as a room leader in the preschool room that is when my teaching really peaked. I absolutely love working in this age group because their is so much you can do with them. The experiences you bring to these children allow their learning and understanding to grow. When working in this room, you just don't feel like a "carer" you actually feel as if you are shaping the learning of these children... well thats my opinion anyway.

I also recently enjoyed working as a room leader in the toddler room. Completely different to what I have experienced before hand and it is extremely full on where there isn't a moment to sit back and take a breather (until nap time). However, the toddlers get way more attached to you then any other children and really are so affectionate and loving. Even if your having a bad day there is always a little one to make you laugh... its a challenge alright but sometimes we need a challenge to push ourselves.

You could also start off working as a casual through an agency or at some local centres where you can get some experience working in different rooms/age groups which will allow you to find out which one suits you...

Good Luck & Keep us posted!

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you L.A and fefe

You advice is great will help me alot in deciding.

Macoola